There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Internship Review

Former Employee - Clerical Intern  in  Huntington Beach, CA (US)
Former Employee - Clerical Intern in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I worked at State Farm as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, very nice place to work at. The agents there were all kind to me, and answered my questions whenever I had one about their job.

Cons

Ended up doing menial tasks for most of the time, though this was more on my fault anyone else's. Could've taken initiative more to take on more and more difficult tasks.

Really work with interns more and try to challenge them. If they don't meet your expectations, then give them something easier, but most interns should have strong abilities to achieve more than what you originally thing.

1619 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

DO NOT work in claims for the long term! If you do, you likely will be very unhappy.

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative  in  Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

SF has a great training program. They're very in depth in the training, & educate you in many facets of the insurance industry. During & after the training program, you will meet good people. Most people I work with are genuinely nice. Having positive & well liked people makes a stressful claims environment more tolerable.
    -State Farm is a mutual company so it feels good not answering to shareholders.
    -Food days, recognition of birthdays, holidays gifts/food.

Cons

The claims department is a very negative environment. This is caused by the angry insureds or claimants refuting a decision or handling on a claim. Often, even if you make the right decision in a claim, the person on the other side of the phone will be unreasonable, causing you to have a miserable day. These negative interactions with customers then causes a "snowball effect" throughout the entire department. Getting beat up verbally day in & day out takes it's toll on your overall contentment in life, no matter who you are. Once you get beat up by a customer, you then get micromanaged for everything you do while you're on the clock. You have a meeting with a manager every month, & it feels the manager's sole job is to find fault in your work. The managers start out the meeting with one or two positive comments only to prepare you for the punches they throw at you. The rest of the meeting is followed up by what you did wrong. For the 1st year, I thought the feedback was to help me perform better at my job (which some did) but you later discover their feedback is not very consistent & generally condescending. It's toxic, & every tenured coworker agrees. There's a group called Work Force Management enforced, & they monitor what you do every minute in the work day. That includes monitoring, to the second, on how long you're in the restroom. Autonomy is minimal here. It's also challenging to move to other departments. You either have to campaign yourself to the managers, be the son/daughter of someone high up, or have the CPCU to move up the ladder. A combination of playing politics, nepotism, hard work, & insurance designations will likely get you on the fast track. If you're not, there may be a glass ceiling for you, & it's likely in the position you're already in. After the wonderful training program they have here, it's really all down hill. You only use a fraction of what you learned in training on the work floor. The job will get repetitious after a year, then you'll seek an exit. My advice is learn what you can, try to enjoy the ride, & get out before 3 years if you haven't been promoted. If you stay longer than 3 years, you then should compare yourself to "cattle".

There are too many levels of management, & they all seem to want to keep their distance as if they're too good for us. They really do act like they nestle in high ivory towers. After me, there's a TM>SM>CM>VPO>OPV>EVP>COO>CEO. If the front line manager (a TM) treats their subordinates like dirt, then in all likelihood, that mistreatment is coming from the top. Please learn from what other companies (who have been recognized nationally as great places to work), & try to enforce similar policies for your employees. You can't sustain & grow an insurance company in the long term if nearly all of your claims adjusters are dissatisfied. State Farm should still be a powerhouse in 10 years, but that will not be the case in 25 years if SF has the same policies & ideologies as today.

Great company that tries really hard, but can be frustrating to work for

Current Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The more casual work environment is nice. The company really does try hard to not only provide quality services to their customers (though sometimes it may not show), but also treat the employees well. There are a lot of great people that work there. I've made a lot of friends even though I moved to Bloomington for the job and didn't know anybody. The department I work for has a pretty good amount of flexibility in terms of work/life balance, though I've heard other departments are very strict when it comes to this and are much more demanding.

Cons

Salaries all over the chart for the same role. I started as State Farm as an intern several years ago. I think that was a mistake, as I've come to find out how much lower my salary is than other people with similar job roles and experience. That pay raise when I was hired on permanently seemed great at the time, but it apparently was well below what new hires are usually started out at. My fault for not researching more and then negotiating I guess. I've come to find out this is common, employees in the same role can have a 30-40% salary disparity, even with just a few years difference in length of employment.

Also, the company is constantly changing goals and strategies. Good and bad, good to be flexible and open to change, but it just seems like when everyone finally understands what the upper management is trying to do, they go and change strategy and processes to something new, even before the previous processes are given a chance. This can be frustrating and has really affected morale in the last couple years. Also, just because someone questions the new directions/strategies doesn't mean they aren't a team player. I've seen many people get chastised for asking questions, whereas it seems those who blindly follow and spend a lot of time kissing up to management are given preferential treatment. And often times the most skilled people are the one asking the questions, and the least skilled people are the ones getting promoted. There is some conflict that didn't used to be there because of people in management who have little knowledge of the areas they are managing. It can make the jobs of the people working for that manager very difficult.

Also, the idea to use as much outsourcing as possible hurts morale as well. It sometimes seems that the majority of the cheap labor they bring in from consultant companies is not nearly skilled enough to be doing the job they were brought in for. This leads to even more frustration for those of us who have to pick up the slack for them. Cheaper isn't always better, especially when it comes to IT.

Realize that many of the people questioning the decisions have more to bring to the company than many of the ones who simply kiss up and want a fast-track to management positions. The lack of understanding from a lot of the management in regards to what the employees actually do is horribly frustrating. I'd rather get promoted because of my knowledge and skills, not because I just say "yes sir/maam" to whatever I'm told.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!