State Farm

www.statefarm.com
  www.statefarm.com
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Internship Review

Former Employee - Clerical Intern in Huntington Beach, CA (US)
Former Employee - Clerical Intern in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I worked at State Farm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, very nice place to work at. The agents there were all kind to me, and answered my questions whenever I had one about their job.

Cons

Ended up doing menial tasks for most of the time, though this was more on my fault anyone else's. Could've taken initiative more to take on more and more difficult tasks.

Really work with interns more and try to challenge them. If they don't meet your expectations, then give them something easier, but most interns should have strong abilities to achieve more than what you originally thing.

1801 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Best Place to be

Current Employee - Sharepoint Engineer in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sharepoint Engineer in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great team with knowledgeable members and very professional and easy going

Cons

Too many investments on third party tools and waste of money

Great company that tries really hard, but can be frustrating to work for

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The more casual work environment is nice. The company really does try hard to not only provide quality services to their customers (though sometimes it may not show), but also treat the employees well. There are a lot of great people that work there. I've made a lot of friends even though I moved to Bloomington for the job and didn't know anybody. The department I work for has a pretty good amount of flexibility in terms of work/life balance, though I've heard other departments are very strict when it comes to this and are much more demanding.

Cons

Salaries all over the chart for the same role. I started as State Farm as an intern several years ago. I think that was a mistake, as I've come to find out how much lower my salary is than other people with similar job roles and experience. That pay raise when I was hired on permanently seemed great at the time, but it apparently was well below what new hires are usually started out at. My fault for not researching more and then negotiating I guess. I've come to find out this is common, employees in the same role can have a 30-40% salary disparity, even with just a few years difference in length of employment.

Also, the company is constantly changing goals and strategies. Good and bad, good to be flexible and open to change, but it just seems like when everyone finally understands what the upper management is trying to do, they go and change strategy and processes to something new, even before the previous processes are given a chance. This can be frustrating and has really affected morale in the last couple years. Also, just because someone questions the new directions/strategies doesn't mean they aren't a team player. I've seen many people get chastised for asking questions, whereas it seems those who blindly follow and spend a lot of time kissing up to management are given preferential treatment. And often times the most skilled people are the one asking the questions, and the least skilled people are the ones getting promoted. There is some conflict that didn't used to be there because of people in management who have little knowledge of the areas they are managing. It can make the jobs of the people working for that manager very difficult.

Also, the idea to use as much outsourcing as possible hurts morale as well. It sometimes seems that the majority of the cheap labor they bring in from consultant companies is not nearly skilled enough to be doing the job they were brought in for. This leads to even more frustration for those of us who have to pick up the slack for them. Cheaper isn't always better, especially when it comes to IT.

Realize that many of the people questioning the decisions have more to bring to the company than many of the ones who simply kiss up and want a fast-track to management positions. The lack of understanding from a lot of the management in regards to what the employees actually do is horribly frustrating. I'd rather get promoted because of my knowledge and skills, not because I just say "yes sir/maam" to whatever I'm told.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm