There are newer employer reviews for Spurwink Services

Incredible work is accomplished here. Senior management needs to improve.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME (US)
Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Spurwink Services

Pros

Incredible work is accomplished here. Life work a balance is possible.

Cons

More leadership direction is needed.

Advice to Management

The organization would benefit if employees were on the same page.

reviews filtered by
  1. The money is good, but the stress is very high. There's a reason why this is a high turnover position.

Current Employee - Therapeutic Foster Parent in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Therapeutic Foster Parent in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-The money!!! As a couple, you make about $65-70 thousand per year. All of your living expenses are paid for, including housing, utilities, food, and gas. This means you make a lot of money without having much to spend it on, so it's great for paying off college loans.
    -The recently started paying for respite housing, which lets couples spend their respite at a hotel if needed. They cover $70 per night for 2 or 3 nights.
    -The kids, but not all of them. You will have your favorites and they will be really quirky and sometimes hilarious.
    -Management is very open to suggestions for improvement, even if they are slow to implement. They want to keep you and will try to accommodate you however they can.
    -The training is great! They really prepare you for the job, even if you have no experience in the field.
    -Benefits are great. I earn 16 or so earned time hours per 2 week pay period, and that can really add up. All together, that's about 4-5 weeks of paid vacation a year.

Cons

-The stress!!! The clients we serve are some of the most troublesome, challenging, and aggressive kids. You will be cussed out, spat at, yelled at, hit, and have objects thrown at you. It's really scary the first time, and it gets easier as it keeps happening, but it doesn't really stop. These are kids that you must show unconditional positive regard to, and that can be especially challenging after you've just been hit in the head with a glass cup.
    -Working with your significant other. You will have no breaks from working together, and you can't ever show that you are anything other than a perfect, loving couple (and lets be serious, everyone has fights or argues sometimes).
    -You work 12 days in a row. By the end of the 12 days, you're ready to pull your hair out.
    -You get 4 hours off in the middle of the day when the kids are at school, but this is often filled with meetings, grocery shopping, or other errands. You could do fun hobbies or stuff around town, but most of the time you're exhausted from work and just want to sleep or watch TV.
    -Paperwork. It never ends. And you will not know how to do a lot of it for the first 6 months or so.
    -Breaks from school and weekends. When the kids are off of school, that's a 16 hour day of figuring out what the heck you're gonna do.
    -Being sick. Illness spreads easily, and when I get sick, my significant other gets sick too. There has never been a time where we could both be sick for a day and have a day off to rest and get better. There's not enough staff as it is, so getting coverage is nearly impossible.
    -You will stop having a life outside of your job.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think they're doing everything they can for their employees. They listen to our concerns and try to make changes for the better. I've had a very good experience with management.

2. Not a place to be if annual wage and benefit increases are important to you.

Current Employee - Ed Tech III
    Current Employee - Ed Tech III

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Able to make a difference in a kid's life. The paid time off is adequate and the day ends at 3:00 pm. The culture is laid back and the staff work well together under extremely stressful conditions.

Cons

The wages are lower than average, adequate health insurance is out of reach unless you are willing to pay very high insurance premiums. Upper management seems unconcerned about wage and/or benefit increases.

Advice to Management

Annual wage increase and better health care options.

There are newer employer reviews for Spurwink Services