Loved my co-workers.....

Former Employee - Apparel Sales, Cashier, Customer Service  in  Vero Beach, FL (US)
Former Employee - Apparel Sales, Cashier, Customer Service in Vero Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked with great people for the most part. High energy work environment, and always something to do on really slow days to pass time. There are a lot of things you can push to sell in store that give you pay bonuses and the work shirts are an awesome air-dry wet-proof thin fabric.

Cons

Pay is not the greatest for the high pressure sales required by corporate and other employees will steal your sales without being penalized. Schedule was never up until the last minute sometimes a day after that week hasd started making planning your personal affairs very difficult.

Reprimand thieves that steal from co-workers, be sure the coming schedule is out the promised two weeks prior for good notice and more pay is always nice. :)

Other Reviews for Sports Authority

There is no company, only a collection of district : city-states. United by name only.

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The management discount is quite nice, as are side benefits offered by ski resorts and vendors that provide pro-forms. Most other employees are like minded.

Cons

ZERO corporate structure. Each district is its own wild west, using the rules and standards of it prospective manager, and not that of the corporate office. My position was moved to another location, which was offered to me however the cost of living was far higher and no compensation was offered to me. The company had very lousy benefits when I worked there.

Corporate needs to rope in the district manager, who often fire loyal employees to make room for friends. Job performance means little for your chances at promotion unless you are the personal friend of your superior - this must stop! Also repair your old stores, they are pathetic.

Overworked and stressful work conditions for Store Managers.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  North Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-selling sporting goods
    -good lower level people.

Cons

-no holiday pay
    -expect you to work 75 plus hours a week
    -district and regional managers don't live in reality.
    -measurable goals that are not attainable.
    -bonus program on really attainable for new stores with low goals
    -priorities are never consistent
    -district and regional managers do NOT appreciate hard work
    -payroll doesn't align with work load.
    -work life balance no existent.

Pay your store managers competitively. Stop managing by fear and live in reality.

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!