There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

SWA is a Company employees are proud to work for. SWA is good for the employees and the communities it serves.

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The Culture, the People, the health benefits, the flight benefits.

Cons

I've been with the Company almost 20 years. It's been challenging trying to keep the family culture since it has grown.

Keep working just as hard as the individual contributors. You all are great role models.

473 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Maintenance...Almost awesome

Current Employee - Heavy Structures Maintenance DAL in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Heavy Structures Maintenance DAL in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Southwest maintenance rocks as far as flexibility, pay, benefits, and overall places to work. Pay for a 5 yr mechanic is around $42 hr, leads and inspectors + 6%, time and half after 8 hrs, double time after 12...with paid rest after 24. Three % raises are garunteed for the next 3 year with a 1% bonus every year. Day trades and giveaways are always there and overtime is good, but slowing a bit as the belt tightening has hit everyone. Taking in consideration 9-11, the economy, and this is the airline business, some people still don't realize how good we have it. This truly is the best place to work. I've been here 14 years and hope to stay atleast that much longer.

Cons

Mid level management is average at best. Pay prevents most good mechanics from applying for Supervisors. Supervisors have little or no authority ....Shift work prevents good mechnics from being leads. Some, not all, mechanics that have been here a long time, are just along for the ride. Hiring cutbacks, position abolishments, and shift averaging have all but eliminated anyone from moving up. I have moved back seniority wise the last 5 years, which reflects in the shift you can hold, therefore the quality of life you have with your family. Unions have and always will keep the people you want to see get fired...from being fired. They do serve a purpose...but you must have the right people running them...and I'm not sure we do..atleast in DAL.

In the rush to cutback and save money...don't follow other airlines. Take care of your people....not only monetarily, but in their quality of life with their families. Good Morale is everything. It translates to customers and the product you put out. If you want to come to work...life is good. Listen to the workers...they usually know the way.

Southwest is a company I'm proud to work for and I Luv going to work!

Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer
    Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I'm trusted to do my job and empowered to offer advice to make a difference. I work with outstanding people who for the most part really do enjoy their jobs. The fun loving "culture" at Southwest makes it a pleasure to not only come to work but to enjoy your job while you are at work. Most importantly I am treated with respect by the company and my fellow employees. I take ownership of my Southwest family and I feel like I am part of something larger than myself. I also feel like I earn an honest wage and I have some flexibility in what kind of schedule I work. I have worked at Southwest for 4 years and I consider myself very lucky to have been hired here. I want to help make this company great because I feel like a valued employee which I have never felt at any other company. Some have said the Southwest culture is slowing going away but I completely disagree. If anything I think it has improved during this past year as we all have to deal with this economy. We have become more focused just to weather the storm and I think we will be a better company because it and I think the best days of Southwest are still ahead and I plan to make sure that is what will happen.

Cons

The overall state of the economy has led almost no growth. The combination of the pilot retirement age from 60 to 65 has added to the problem. Upgrade times for First Officers to Captain has increased from what used to be about 6 year upgrades to what is expected to be 10-12 year upgrades. This however is still an unknown as everything could change overnight depending on multiple external and internal factors. This problem has been managed as well as could be expected by Southwest and the company seems to plan well for the "bad" times as this cyclical industry is nothing new. Ultimately I feel that Southwest has managed their work force effectively given how crazy this industry is. Not one employee has lost their job at Southwest due to this economy and from where I sit I think the company makes every effort to keep all of us on the pay roll when others in this industry have not been able to take care of their own.

Continue to value the employees and we will continue to value the customers and the customers will continue value our company. Trust and respect are two way streets and I don't want to lose that aspect of our company. I like that Southwest tends to promote managers and leaders from within our company with those who know our culture the best so please look for talent from within our own ranks. I think any merger or acquisition which would fracture any working group could doom this airline. We can grow from within and select those who want to be here and be part of the Southwest culture. I would rather work with someone who wants to be here and sought employment at Southwest instead of someone who was forced to start working here because they were pawns of a system which was out of their control. Most of all keep up the great work as we are all counting on you...and you can count on us too.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines