There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

SWA is a Company employees are proud to work for. SWA is good for the employees and the communities it serves.

Current Employee - Technology Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The Culture, the People, the health benefits, the flight benefits.

Cons

I've been with the Company almost 20 years. It's been challenging trying to keep the family culture since it has grown.

Keep working just as hard as the individual contributors. You all are great role models.

449 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Maintenance...Almost awesome

Current Employee - Heavy Structures Maintenance DAL  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Heavy Structures Maintenance DAL in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Southwest maintenance rocks as far as flexibility, pay, benefits, and overall places to work. Pay for a 5 yr mechanic is around $42 hr, leads and inspectors + 6%, time and half after 8 hrs, double time after 12...with paid rest after 24. Three % raises are garunteed for the next 3 year with a 1% bonus every year. Day trades and giveaways are always there and overtime is good, but slowing a bit as the belt tightening has hit everyone. Taking in consideration 9-11, the economy, and this is the airline business, some people still don't realize how good we have it. This truly is the best place to work. I've been here 14 years and hope to stay atleast that much longer.

Cons

Mid level management is average at best. Pay prevents most good mechanics from applying for Supervisors. Supervisors have little or no authority ....Shift work prevents good mechnics from being leads. Some, not all, mechanics that have been here a long time, are just along for the ride. Hiring cutbacks, position abolishments, and shift averaging have all but eliminated anyone from moving up. I have moved back seniority wise the last 5 years, which reflects in the shift you can hold, therefore the quality of life you have with your family. Unions have and always will keep the people you want to see get fired...from being fired. They do serve a purpose...but you must have the right people running them...and I'm not sure we do..atleast in DAL.

In the rush to cutback and save money...don't follow other airlines. Take care of your people....not only monetarily, but in their quality of life with their families. Good Morale is everything. It translates to customers and the product you put out. If you want to come to work...life is good. Listen to the workers...they usually know the way.

Grateful every day...

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I love this company. While we are all aware that we are a business and need to make money, SWA gives the front-line employees such freedom to make the job our own. They encourage us to treat our passengers as if they were guests in our own living room. I love my passengers. They have brought meaning and joy to my life. Of course, on some short full flights it is just slinging drinks but, if you keep your eyes open, you can find opportunities to make someone's day a little brighter.

Cons

I am concerned that some of our more recently-hired employees don't quite "get it." They need to understand that when they are using their phones/PDAs or doing anything else other than interacting with our customers (of course, one must take a much-needed break to eat, etc.), they are doing a disservice to our customers and all the other employees who truly care about our company.

Sometimes it seems as though management decides to implement a new program just for the sake of doing something new. New isn't necessarily better. I think it would be helpful for more of the people who manage flight attendants to have had real experience in working as a flight attendant.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!