Great experience overall

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The position was great and allowed for "out of the box" thinking. Most people were easy to work with and most of the Leadership team was easy to work for.

Cons

There weren't very many "cons" to speak of.

Other Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Coustomer Service

Current Employee - CSS  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - CSS in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Really friendly culture. Many employees still understand the fundamentals of costumer and employee relations.

Cons

Inconsistent work rules, poor use of employee resources department, too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to corporate managment positions. Growing too fast to maintain the culture that was instilled by the great Herb Kelleher.

Stop worrying about wall street and get back to fundamentals. This company did not make it forty years on stock quotes.

Ramp Agent

Former Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Newark, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to travel in your training and meet people from other places... The best tasting "Kool-Aid" in the airline industry if u know what I mean. Working outdoors without someone always up your ass. You can swap shifts or hustle more shifts..The ramp agents are unionized and the airport union is A STRONG ONE!

Cons

Working like a mule for garbage pay while they hold that carrot (top pay AFTER TEN years) in front of your nose and make you work BACK BREAKING Laborious grunt work in the bellies of the planes in stifling heat and frigid cold. This is a young man's job. NOT a job to do if you are middle aged and NOT in perfect physical health. This was my first exposure to the airline industry and ...WOW...talk about being surrounded by back biters and gossip mongers....Everyone is hoping their counterpart will quit or get fired - I KID U NOT- in hopes of their "seniority" being bumped up. Also, the pain in the hump of having to bid for your new schedule on a month to month basis. Your co-workers are not really your "friends"...MAKE NO MISTAKE bout that!! The starting pay is ridiculously low to live on.....10.28 an hr. step increases until you make that much ballyhooed 25.00 hr but its ten long years in the salt mines for that.

Live up to your companys much ballyhooed "We LOVE our employees".....STOP seeking to fire indiscriminately and thats why the union has such a positive strong record of gettin unfairly terminated employees their jobs back because you guys always trump up bogus charges.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!