Sony Online Entertainment
www.sonyonline.com San Diego, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Terrible products, Terrible company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the people are nice. Not too much overtime. Decent bonuses.

ConsNo career advancement or salary raises unless you are part of the in-crowd. Very cliquey, high school environment. Stale, irrelevant products. Low salaries. Absolutely no future to move up or work on anything different/more challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do you think so many employees are jumping ship get it together, people. Management is constantly changing and company policies seem to change depending on who is in charge that week.

Fun job, frustrating management.

Game Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: As a gamer, working on an MMO is a ton of fun. Almost everyone on the… Cons: Rotating cycle of bad management--except at the very top, Smedley never rotated. Teams are consistently under pressure to change things and produce content based upon… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Sony treats its employees really well, but something seems to hold back the company from making big hits.

Senior Environment Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Salary and benefits are all really good at Sony. The work environments are relaxed and they generally treat their artists with a lot of respect.… Cons: There are mandatory late/weekend hours sometimes, but that's the case with pretty much any game company. They typically reward well for this though, with… Advice to Senior Management: There's something about the structure there that makes lower level employees not want to give honest opinions about the current state of the game. So… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Sony Online Entertainment.

Worked for Sony Online Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sony Online Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sony Online Entertainment CEO John Smedley. All reviews posted anonymously by Sony Online Entertainment employees.