SoftLayer

www.softlayer.com

Awesome Co-workers, Horrible Technology

Software Engineer I (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsReally awesome co-workers and free snacks (sodas, junk food, orange juice, etc)

ConsInterface team is forced to use the slow and horrible API which was built upon the horrible in-house ORM, resulting in a poor work environment, having to make too many design and user experience sacrifices, which results in a slow and sub-par product.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to be more vocal to upper management about the issues developers face. Issues are raised and even after 8 months there's no response.

Managers need to be more forceful and call out other teams on their crappy code instead of telling their own to find a way to work around major issues.

I'm embarrassed to have worked there.

Senior MS SQL Database Administrator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

I worked at SoftLayer full-time for more than a year

Pros: Variety of customers and their issues made the job technically challenging. The… Cons: Upper management seems to be drunken fools who care only for themselves. For my team size we had 100% employee turnover every two years… Advice to Senior Management: No advice, they are happy to lie and collect money for what they don't do. They just… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Very Poor Ethics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at SoftLayer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: There are some very good employees and middle managers. Opportunity to… Cons: If you enjoy being barked at, this is the place for you. Following our takeover of the Planet, the CEO passed out a copy… Advice to Senior Management: Learn that no one cares what you know - until… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on SoftLayer.

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!