Sears

www.searshc.com
  www.searshc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD (US)
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD (US)

I worked at Sears

Pros

meeting new people. Some benefits are good. If your a sales associate you have opportunites to make more money

Cons

You may not get rechognized for the good things you do. On stressful days with management they tend to bash the associates out alot and get smart with you. you have tons of goals to meet and mi

Show respect to the associates and customers. Have your associates back..

4168 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Great for seasonal or part-time work or as a first job for a student.

Former Employee - MCA in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - MCA in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Sears

Pros

Manager keeps us in the loop on important metrics.

Managers usually available and present on the floor.

Managers generally don't put themselves on a pedestal - they act humble.

Cons

So many acronyms! I was an MCA but didn't even know what MCA stood for until about a month after I took the job. (It means Merchandise and Customer Assist, by the way). I still don't know what many of the terms mean.

While most co-workers were friendly, a few seemed impatient.

Almost all of the merchandise pick-up team is male. Women can carry heavy objects too (more than some of us guys could, myself included)!

Connect what we're doing to the overall success of the company - how are WE helping Sears succeed? Also, get employees more involved in community service projects.

Not your typical retail work experience but good if you like a challenge and something new everyday.

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Working closely with customers and building relationships with their families. Knowing that you are creating pieces of art that will become family heirlooms. Great photography, sales, and management experience. If you're a studio manager, it is like running your own small business (this can be both a pro and a con rolled into one, but I feel it is more of a pro). In the past few years, the quality of the district managers has drastically increased from DMs who use threats as a management tool to DMs who respect their employees, care about their employees and use coaching and training as management tools. 75% employee discount on most items (40% on all other items). Great job for anyone who is a quick learner, can work both independently and as a team player, can operate effectivly in a fast-paced environment and is receptive to constructive criticism. It also helps if you have great people skills and can check your pride at the door (you have to do alot of silly things to get some kids to smile). If you have a basic grasp of SLR functions (ISO, f-stop and shutter speed) and simple knowledge of composition and lighting, along with a passion for photography, this is a great job to not only learn new skills, but to improve what skills you have. Studios are closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day and most close early on New Year's Day, July 4th, Memorial Day and Labor Day. The latest you can expect to work is usally 9:00/9:30, and that is not the norm. The bonus program is pretty sweet and easily attainable if you are doing your job well. Also, the sales process is simple to learn and not intimidating to the customer when performed properly.

Cons

Schedules are based on studio needs (number of appointments) and thus are flexible even through the day. Also, this is a retail business so don't plan on having nights/weekends/most holidays off as they are the busiest times. In other words, if you want banker hours, work at a bank. During the holidays, things can get crazy and appointments are booked close together. This is okay if you have a great staff that can handle it (and no uncooperative subjects), but most customers complain either about the wait, the short time in the camera room or both. Sales averages are expected to stay in a certain range which can be difficult to substain with all of the free item/no purchase necessary coupons and promotions that the company puts out. If you are a studio manager, know that there are alot of downsides that come along with the responsibility. If you don't have a great team who want to work, be prepared to work sick, cover any shifts that someone calls in for and not have a life between Halloween and New Year's (it's part of the job, but not a worry if you have wonderful staff). Part of the job is also building the business which involves calling old customers to encourage a visit and tempting new customers in the door by approaching Sears customers and offering incentives to try out the studio (this is only a con if you are extremely shy or uncomfortable approaching/calling strangers).

I've been with the company for several years and have seen it go through many positive changes, but some of the things I believe could use a overhaul are:
    ~The Backgrounds: Customers want a bigger variety of contemporary backgrounds. Talk of using green screens and digital backgrounds has been going around for sometime and would be a cost effective solution if implemented. Biggest background complaint I hear from customers: same two Christmas backgrounds for large families for at least 10 years.
    ~Enhancement & Photo Editing Capabilities: The ability to do simple retouching and more options for contemporary photo enhancements would increase sales dramatically (think Picnik.com, with sliders to fine tune adjustments). Great photography can be ruined with cheesy enhancements in the same way that bad photography can be transformed into something beautiful with the right editing abilities.
    ~Time Spent In The Camera Room: Simply put, most customers want more time in the camera room, especially those with infants and uncooperative toddlers. Fifteen minutes is simply not enough time to get 9 distinctly different poses when you have to coax and bribe an active two year old. I understand the need for quantity of sits, but think that increasing the quality of each sit would be far more profitable.
    ~Increased Starting Pay: It's difficult to find quality, qualified, hard-working employees who are willing to travel to other studios and work a flexible schedule when they are getting paid minimum wage or slightly above. I've seen far too many wonderful applicants pass on an offered job because the pay is way too low and there are no guaranteed hours.
    ~Coupon Restrictions: It's difficult to to maintain a high sales average when the products are undervalued by the excess amount of free and highly discounted item coupons that bombard customers on a daily basis. Even more so when the same customers abuse the coupons by coming in multiple times a day/week to only get free items. I can name at least 4 different families at my studio alone that come in an average of 2-3 times a month and have spent $50 or less TOTAL over the past 12 months.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears