Scholastic

www.scholastic.com
  www.scholastic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

Strange experience

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Great benefits. Good family/work balance. One of my most favorite jobs.

Cons

Inexpicable behavior on part of upper management. After winning an award for the best performance of the year, increasing my business by 40%, more than double of the next highest performing employee, management decides to send people from the home office to monitor my work process. While there, these people spent all day making dates for drinks after work, etc.....I never did get why this was so. I found a higher paying job with their competitor.

None. Apparently this is a waste of time.

204 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

Great Mission bad delivery

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

What's not to like about a company that's main mission is to get books to kids. Great place for working moms. Good work/life balance

Cons

Outside of the blockbuster hits like Hunger Games and Harry Potter, the rest of the business model seems to be floundering and they are still feeling their way in the ecommerce space. It's hard to get excited when you are cutting back your budgets every other year.

Frequent layoffs :-(

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say - VERY Identifying Title in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the family friendly atmosphere. Was able to have a great work/life balance. Super professional people, NICE people fulfilling a mission.

Cons

May layoffs EVERY year. Was hired even though my Manager knew my tenure would probably not be more than two years. :-( The other divisions of Scholastic are bringing down the proverbial ship and thus Scholastic Book Fairs was forced to do really deep layoffs over the last several years. (Publicly traded company)

Management was great in Orlando, unfortunately the layoff orders were coming from higher up in NYC.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic