There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

rewarding, ambitious, work long hours.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Samsung is one of the top electronics companies in the world. There's constantly new technology devices, so you get to be a part of the next big thing to hit the news in several months. The pay is very reasonable and the bonuses are pretty amazing nowadays! Top health benefits and unmatched 401K matching.

Cons

The expectations are very high! You work long hours. Work-Life balance needs improvement though it depends which department you work in and recently it has gotten a lot better than 5 years ago. Being a manufacturing facility, the mindset is different as if you were part of the actual device development or R&D department. Also, it takes time to move up in the company. It's more determined how long you've been there rather than your credentials and work performance.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Acknowledge your peers and positive attitude will be maintained.

reviews filtered by

No week-ends

Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good at listening to techs on the floor regarding maintenance needs.

Cons

Night time superintendent's primary job is to walk the fab looking for procedural violations, if your working nights don't expect to have too many week-ends as most of them will be filled with useless mandatory training programs. Be prepared to work long fab hours on 12-hour shifts (1 hour lunch break only).

Advice to Management

Need to improve work-life balance, especially for night shift. Need to have training available for night shift employees, I'm tired of coming in on my days off.

Samsung: Terrible Morale/No Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. We all sympathize for each other because Samsung sucks. Give it some time and you'll see what I'm saying.

Cons

Computer systems and SOPs are buggy and time consuming to work-around and/or fix. Engineers end up spending most of their time on issues like this and not on real engineering. They eventually quit when they realize that the longer they stay at Samsung the less marketable they become. There is a huge communication gap between the engineers that work on the front line and management. Most trainers have a sink or swim mentality especially when there is no time for training which is most of the time during ramp ups. My advice: DO NOT WORK IN UNIT PARTS. Work for YE, EHS, QA or Facilities or better yet work for a BETTER RATED COMPANY

Advice to Management

TRs: Be realistic and think long-term. Don't just give your employees work that is impossible to accomplish and then tell them they can do it in "10 minutes."

Stop beating down on your engineers. We are smart hardworking people with engineering degrees that can often walk right out the door. That's what I did.

Senior Management: Make training and fixing the bugs a priority. Don't just push for trainees to sign tasks off by deadlines. Push the trainers to train in a quality way!!! Push for a work balance. It's worth it in the end. This way you won't lose your experience.