Safeway

www.safeway.com
  www.safeway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

I worked there doing nearly every job in

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in East Renton Highlands, WA (US)
Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in East Renton Highlands, WA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

friendly, good benefits, decent management, flexible scheduling

Cons

being a drone sometimes during donation months

1209 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Its a Job

Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am just a high school kid, and it's nice to not have a whole lot of responsibility. The managers understand that I am going to mess around.

Cons

Corporate is getting much tougher on its regs. I am required to do some goofy stuff, like wave people into my line and recite ordered lines.

Please let each employee have their own style.

Worst Employer I've Had

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-After being employed for at least a year, all employees are given 2 weeks paid vacation each year.

Cons

-As one of the previous reviews pointed out, if you are a hard worker, you are expected to pick up slack for others.
    -Management refuses to communicate effectively.
    -I have dealt with black mail from store management, been mocked by managers for expressing my opinion of a situation involving co-workers-after I was specifically asked to share my opinion and views.
    -Weekly schedules are consistently posted only a day before the following week. Changes to schedules can be made at any time and communication is so bad, often employees do not show up for their "scheduled" shifts as they had no idea that their manager had changed the schedule.
    -Wages begin just above minimum wage, but in my store are totally arbitrary and have nothing to do with experience, length of employment, or education.
    -Employees in my store are routinely criticized for "not working fast enough" (even though most shifts involve literal running) and mandatory, by-law breaks are not given. Management says "yes, you can take your breaks" but if you take them, you don't have time to finish the extra work you are forced to take on and you are then yelled at for not completing tasks.
    -Several managers in my store delegate all of their work to their department employees so that they can hide in their offices all day-only returning to yell at their employees for being "behind".

-The pressure being placed on department managers is so intense that they can't win. Dept. Managers then take this out on regular employees.
    -I have been a hard-working employee for this company for 2.5 years and have nothing good to say about my experience. This is by far, the worst employer I have had. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. I have seen 90 percent of the people in my department cry over the stress being placed on them. Management, you need to get out of the offices and check out your stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway