Best place to work, ever

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV  in  Cary, NC (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smart people; laid-back, academic atmosphere. Lots of great perks like a full gym, olympic pool, health and fitness programs, inexpensive great food in the cafeterias, m&m's (and lots of other free food) in the break rooms. Individual offices - cubes are only used for interns and in space emergencies (which are rare).

Cons

There is somewhat of an entitlement attitude among many employees which makes it frustrating if you're actually trying to get work done. There are a lot of political games at the division head level that are annoying to those in the trenches.

Don't be afraid to manage out poor performers. I have seen many people hang on for years or even decades that we'd be better off without.

Other Reviews for SAS Institute

Best Culture Out There

Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant  in  Cary, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture. You get to work with extremely smart and interesting people every day and everyone smiles at you in the hallway.

35 hour work week.

Great benefits, including gym, no deductable health insurance, dental insurance that pays 100%, free counseling, and a free 3% contribution to 401K.

Everyone gets a (fairly large) office.

The culture affords autonomy; I rarely see my boss unless we are having lunch and the director actually works in another building.

Cons

Supposedly they don't pay at the top of the market. This statement is somewhat hard to swallow however, since I am still trying to rectify how I am actually worth MORE than what they are currently paying me (given how many hours I work).

Also, since everyone stays here forever, it takes a while to make your way up the corporate ladder.

Really great experience as an intern

I worked at SAS Institute

Pros

I got to work on a small team developing a new product, so I learned a lot about the team environment at SAS, which is second to none.

Cons

I only had one project to do, and didn't really have the option of doing more because I was just an intern.

Certain teams are worked significantly harder than others because of inefficient appropriation of talent.

There are newer employer reviews for SAS Institute.

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!