There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Great company that takes care of its people

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company has a strong network of people with technical skills & people that genuinely care about doing right and performing well.
- Salary / Benefits are comparable to others in the industry
- From my own experience, managers trust the employees to perform their jobs; I have been afforded the opportunity on several occasions to find ways to improve my assignments / tasks to make the customer happy & to make our system work more effectively.
- From my personal experience, I get to travel quite frequently
- Although contracting is not very secure, I have seen the company take care of its employees even after a contract on which they were working either expired or failed to be renewed. This develops a trust between the employee & the company.

Cons

- Since I started working just over 3 years ago, we have had 3 different CEOs, and are now discussing a company split (although this may actually be a Pro in the long-term); Unsure how to feel about upper management.
- Like with any contracting job, job security is not as strong as on the government / private sector
- Does not seem like there is much room for upward mobility; from personal experience, if you work harder and outperform, you will be rewarded no more & no less than those that do just enough to get by (this is how I have seen it under my new manager --the old one was a little more fair / aware enough to reward those that went above & beyond). This just makes the employees either lose motivation, or simply start looking elsewhere where their hard work will be more appreciated

Advice to Management

Keep stressing the importance of Ethics --it keeps people aware, accountable, and develops trust between coworkers and the company; Be more open about future of contracts, find more ways to reward those that you know are valuable to the company.

reviews filtered by

Worst job experience of my 20 year career

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can recall.

Cons

As of January 2013, the health benefits they offer will become nearly useless. If you don't have a billing code, then you don't receive a paycheck...even if they call you a "salaried" employee. Take a job with them at your own risk. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Weed out your lazy middle management and "wake up!" the upper management. Your company is failing and it is because you failed your people.

2. Heroic efforts to accommodate difficulties

Current Employee - Navy Ranges Subject Matter Expert in Norfolk, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Navy Ranges Subject Matter Expert in Norfolk, VA (US)

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best leadership I have seen in 15 years

Cons

The economy is causing some downsizing

Advice to Management

Pay the FSO more, she deserves it with her commitment to the group.