Reynolds American

www.reynoldsamerican.com

Good company to start your career. Not long term.

Senior Territory Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat benefits, company car for personal use (spouse can use), Good vacation. Freedom to have personal time off (doctors appointments, etc..). Work life balance. Not micro managed.

ConsThe employees that play the game w/ upper management get moved up. Favoritism is shown to the employee that worships the DM and director. Doesn't matter how hard the employee works. Salary maxes out after a few years at Senior Territory Manager (TM III). Doesn't matter how hard you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Send out the 360 survey on the DMs at least once a year. Don't preach "push back" your manager. The DM and Region Directors will hold grudges. The DMs expect the tenured TMs to train the new employees instead of doing it themselves. I was originally with RJRT before the merger w/ B & W. RJRT had a great training program! After the merger new employees did not get trained. The DMs put their own spin on things w/ the new employees to make themselves look good. DMs tell their "favorites" what to do and when evaluation time comes around the DM tells the panel "look what my employee did." This makes the DM look good, not the TM. I never understood the miscommunication from home office to the field. The problem is home office sends out objectives for the field. The directors have a meeting with the DMs and put their spin on the that objective and what should done. Then the DM has a meeting and puts their spin on the said objective. It's tobacco not rocket science. The objective should be consistent between the DMs. Each DM holds their people to their own standards and their own "ideas". So people are evaluated based on what the DM wants/wanted. Then when panel time comes around each DM spins everything in their favor instead of company objectives.The TM/DM that is full of it and talks the most moves on up the ladder.

The DMs hold TMs to different standards. I understand that new employees can't be held to the same standards as the TM that have been around for 5+ years but after a year or two the so called new TM should know what they are doing and be held accountable, not coddled. But by the time the new TM has somewhat learned what RJRT wants they get promoted and are clueless on the overall category and how to talk to chains. This weakens the company. The Account Managers have at the most 10 chains. So they are definitely not overworked. They like to work with the TMs and tell "them" what they should be doing, but cannot execute in their own chains.

Also when interviewing candidates you should not tell the potential TM they will be promoted in a certain time frame. Everyone knows it is not how hard you work or the numbers. It is favoritism from the DM. I consistently had above average numbers and above expectations but it never mattered how well I did.

Overall the company needs to treat people fairly quit complaining about $.02-$.03 difference in pricing. When a consumer is buying a product this amount of money does not matter. Look at your brands. I know you can't go back and change things but after the merger, Salem (being on discount) did better than Kool (I was in an area that Salem was never on discount until right before the merger. Which is the best thing Andrew Schindler did to push up the stock price so BAT couldn't take majority ownership). Yet the B & W management was too proud to push more than one brand of RJRT's (Camel). Doral was bigger than Pall Mall but yet you chose to push Pall Mall. Pall Mall should have been the EDLP brand. My gut feeling since the merger was (and is) that BAT wants to slowly take over more of RJRT. The RJRT Management (B & W) seems to destroy the brands and not doing anything that makes sense. I believe that BAT is buying more shares. RJRT is buying back their shares. More and more people on the board and in the home office roles are going to the BAT/B & W employees.

I really did enjoy my time with RJRT. The meetings are fun. I made a lot of friends and it was educational. Everything is first class. But post merger everything became more political than it was when I started. DMs should be held to a higher standard and be punished for their actions. In 9+ year career I had to meet with a Director and an HR Rep about a DM. I had two phone calls from HR on two other DMs (I had five my entire career). Two of the three should have been let go. Only one did get let go. I recently heard that a male Strategic Account Executive got let go for harassing a new female TM. Which is fine. But I don't understand why when a female DM got drunk and couldn't keep her lips to herself did she not get fired? She got flown to Winston and spoke w/ VP of Sales about it and nothing happened other than ANOTHER warning. Double standards! After seeing the stupid games and favoritism I chose to leave the company, leaving behind the "good retirement" I had gotten grandfathered into. The company didn't have a real plan to grow.

Just resigned

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for less than a year

Pros: - Company vehicle, fuel paid for (Employee required to pay $125.00 a month… Cons: - Managers in positions incongruent with ability/interpersonal skills - Indifferent and/or devisive store owners often incapable of true partnership. - Work day… Advice to Senior Management: - Fully vett potential DM's; ensure they can actually lead and mentor subordinates - Educate DM's on why it's crucial to solicit ideas / experiences from… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A good resume builder

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros: Entry level position, many training opportunities. Company car, benefits, work out of home office. Company computer, pay for cell… Cons: Promotion limited based on who likes you and your mobility not your work. Long hours very demanding.… Advice to Senior Management: Take a look at upper management leadership. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Reynolds American.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!