Gen Y Review

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Marlborough, MA (US)
Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Marlborough, MA (US)

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Large company with flexibility to move around to other departments and/or other geographic locations. Intelligent employees who value diversity and a strong work ethic. Strong social programs offer activities for the 35-and-under crowd.

Cons

Sometimes you have to go and find your own work to do, especially when you're new and/or don't have much experience. Managers should help with this but they have other needs to address first. The job is what you make of it. Work load is inconsistent - some weeks are crazy busy but others can be a downright bore.

Advice to Management

You do a great job of valuing your employees with rewards, events, etc. Gen Y employees desire to take leadership and ownership of their projects, so they risk feeling inconsequential when assigned a bullet list of tasks.

reviews filtered by
  1. 30+ years of stable employment

Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA (US)

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Not many people in my area get laid off. There is interesting technical work. I work with a pleasant group of people. I have the opportunity to interface directly with my government customer.

Cons

Typical politics, especially if you want to rise. Since Raytheon took over, I've seen a lot of program managers get pushed aside if they don't pass muster. There's definitely a ceiling beyond which you must have strong political skills to rise above.

Advice to Management

Be more broad-minded in considering internal applicants for open positions. Having worked for the company for as long as I have, my history precedes me to any interviews.

2. BORRRINNGG but great work-life balance

Former Employee - Intern in Garland, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Garland, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

The benefits and pay are great. The people are also very nice and there are lots of online training courses to take.

Cons

Knowledge and information sharing aren't the greatest at Raytheon. I had to work really hard at getting in contact with the right people and sometimes I would be on a wild-goose chase trying to find those people. Also, in the group I was in, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of bonding or friendships between the team. (No lunches, or really anything that didn't involve work.)

Advice to Management

Make it fun! Sponsor some activities for the employees to get involved in at work. Get the employees away from their computers for 30 minutes a day!