Great company that is undervalued

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a well run company with an honorable mission. Things are well organized. Processes are well defined and you know what to expect. There are not many surprises. By far, Raytheon is the most ethical company I have ever worked at. Employees are encouraged to do the right thing and there appears to be little tolerance for those who don't. The company hangs its hat on integrity and excellence. Generally speaking, the leadership is good. They invest in training and developing their employees. Some complain they don't, but they do. There is regular communcation at the corporate and business level about what it going on in the industry and in the company. When I worked there, I heard a lot of complaints about diversity. It is much more diverse than where I am now with a global conglomerate. The 9/80 work week is a huge plus and makes up for longer hours on the other days. Career paths are well defined and training is available to everyone. They do an employee survey and actually take action. There are some wicked smart people who work there and it was an honor to work with them.

Cons

Because of the long lead time on projects, you could be in the same job for a while and"get stuck". So, you have to really manage your career and communicate desires to manager. Moving between businesses can be challenging if you don't have a network, but it can be done. Sometimes leaders are promoted into roles they are not ready for and management is too slow to address. There is great work on cool technology, however the skills and knowledge is undervalued by other industries. If you don't plan to stay long, know that you'll have to overcome that perception.

Address leadership issues sooner rather than later to avoid disengagement. Keep recruiting the best and brightest.

Other Reviews for Raytheon

A great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Program Control Analyst  in  Ashburn, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Control Analyst in Ashburn, VA (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Seem to have great benefits depite the changing climate.

Cons

Bound by pressures from the government due to type of work.

Good Company, Hard hit, Slow Progression

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time

Pros

GREAT work life balance, generally good people, Awesome location,

Cons

You really have to "wait your turn" or bide your time. If you perform well they will give your respect, and recognize it, and give you more responsibility. However, they won't compensate you for it. So you find yourself doing much more work for not much more pay. Outside of that one complaint, it's a great company, but given the opportunity to advance at another company, I couldn't overlook it.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!