Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
  www.pier1.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

A fun place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Bern, NC (US)
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Bern, NC (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount was a big plus. They offer insurance options for part-time employees. Opportunities to interact with people/customers from all walks of life.

Cons

Store managers are in charge of scheduling. My personal experience was that the store manager continually scheduled me and another manager for weekend shifts, but refused to work more than one weekend for every two months despite higher management requesting she work more weekends. They require you to push their store credit card, so if you have a problem pushing 23%APR cards on people, this may not be the place for you.

I would advise regional managers to require schedule submissions from store managers along with sales reports. This would give better insight to what problems may be leading to poor store performance.

608 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Great bonus program! Laid back company.

Cons

Once you are hired in for a particular position, you will be stuck with that position. No opportunities to move up within the company. People tend to stick around for a long time. Company pays below market value.

Create more opportunities for people to advance. Pay people what they are worth.

The passion for the company faded.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount!
    If your store manager is amazing and hires employees that are amazing and blend well and work well together, it's a dream job!!!
    Many career advancement opportunities!
    Fun -- if you love the products and working with customers closely. Pier 1 customers are loyal and truly want the employee's ideas, advice.

Cons

When I first started in 2006 the company did something special for employees on Christmas- but that ended during my three year employment history. I was very disappointed. I am not sure what the situation is there current day.
    They also cut back on the amount of raises per year they'd give and the amount of raise.

Short shifts as a sales associate. Decent hours as sales leader.
    Very few hours available per week for sales associates ranging from 4-15 hours. Not enough to pay rent, but the company didn't want me to have second job b/c that affected my availability.
    Underpaid as sales associate.
    When I advanced to sales leader, I made $10 a hour, which maybe would be fair for a month period. But there should be more raises and BETTER raises.
    Demanding goals to receive credit card sign ups per day.

I transferred stores when I became a sales leader and unfortunately that management team made me fall OUT OF LOVE with the company. I was very disappointed but left the company because of it. Before that my previous store was awesome! Great managers equal GREAT stores and GREAT employees.
    As for the much higher ups.... my store frequently didn't have access to merchandising supplies we needed to prepare the store as the directory asked us to. The District Manager always said we couldn't afford it. That's strange to me, since we were trying to made our store to be the Pier 1 Standard. Make sure your store have the tool, supplies they need, and the employees do as well. Communication is huge. And a Thank you goes a LONG way during a store visit!!! (VISIT THE Stores!!! The employees work VERY hard to make the stores look the way they do and be successful as they are.)

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports