Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy)
www.pennwest.com Calgary, Canada 1000 to 5000 Employees

Wonderful Company Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy)

ProsPenn West is certainly one of the best companies to work for. Turnover in this company is known to be low.

Highlights:
• Penn West is one of the larger O&G - E&P companies of over 2000 employees. As a bigger company with deeper pockets, employees get to utilize more available company resources and more formal professional development opportunities related to the role.
• Generally a more relaxed atmosphere and company culture, which I believe enhances overall employee morale. Many managers are approachable when employees have questions to ask.
• Business casual dress code on usual days. Casual dress such as jeans are allowed on Fridays in most cases.
• Salary increases on an annual basis consisting of a salary review. To ensure competitive salary within the O&G - E&P industry, the company gathers data from the Mercer Compensation Surveys.
• Company paid holidays for both statutory and civic holidays. As well, office employees are provided with pay for flex days, an office closure during Stampede Parade, a half day off of your choice to participate in a stampede event, office closure between Christmas and New Years, and four office closure days to extend the statutory and civic holidays during the long weekends in the summer.
• Company provided Activity Day during the summer for office employees to enjoy a day away from work to participate in company sponsored activities or sports.
• Core work hours are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. However, if suited for the role and the needs of the company, the manager may also provide their employees with some flexible work hours.
• Vacation entitlement based on age. This may be an advantage or disadvantage to certain experienced employees. Temporary employees paid by wages, such as summer/co-op students or certain contractors, receive 6% vacation pay or an equivalent of 3 weeks vacation prorated to their work term.
• Voluntary social club membership to obtain discounts to various designated events and network with other fellow employees.
• Health Care Benefits for full-time employees begin when an employee starts working. There is no waiting period for employees to receive medical or dental health benefit coverage.

Cons• It appears that the stock prices in the company have been going in a significantly downward trend during the recent years. It is rather worrisome as employees wonder how well the company will perform in the future.
• In comparison to other companies in the industry, there does not appear to be compressed work week options available at this time to allow for every other Friday off. However, the number of competitive benefits that are available to employees overall outweigh the negatives.
• As the company continues to grow larger, it starts to become more procedure and process-oriented. However, this can actually also be an advantage when it comes to best practices on getting things done and making sound decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep up with the great work and culture. If you were to participate in competing for the annual Canada's Top 100 Employers list, I believe you will certainly make it on the list. I hope employees will continue to be strongly valued and considered as an asset to the company.

I actually looked forward to going into work each morning.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy) full-time for more than a year

Pros: Being able to incorporate not only exercise but other interests into my day right at work! I was part of Toastmasters… Cons: Restructuring is always a con for the employees that are let go. Me being one of them only hopes that Penn West will become a… Advice to Senior Management: Good people need to be listened to. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Penn West

Production Engineer (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Good total compensation and work life balance, excellent front line… Cons: No vision or strategic planning Advice to Senior Management: Quit No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy).

Worked for Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy) CEO Murray R. Nunns. All reviews posted anonymously by Penn West Exploration (formerly Penn West Energy) employees.