Challenging, good pay good work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Broomfield, CO (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sensible work hours compared to last job -- work 50 hrs week compared to 70. This is due to having more people supporting you with your tasks. Next, I value working with colleagues all over the globe. I'm home assigned which works great. Manager treats as adults in that no questions asked or bother if you're professionally competent do a good job. If you go above and beyond with your work you get raises and are supported by managment. Finally, Oracle knows how to monitize on products and sevices. This is a plus as I have not had to deal with constant layoffs like at my previous company.

Cons

Raises amounts could be higher. The culture differs based on where you are at. California HQ is pretty dull, whereas the old Sun Microsystems campus in Colorado is much more interactive with brigher facilities and staff events.

Company needs to start hiring young talent to serve as base for next generation or Oracle and to inject fresh modern ideas. Company needs to put more into culture and people with campus events and facilites with better teaming areas.

Other Reviews for Oracle

Employees to work with "OUT of warranty" laptops

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Less work and nothing else

Cons

Reasons to reject Oracle Offer:
    1. They hire for market prices and never give hike once employee is in. Not even a consistent single digit hike. This happens at IDC (India) where inflation goes on double digits.

2. Technically they use more in house tools and utilities. That way employees gain skills on that and will not have exposure to any external tools. Technically this company makes u dump.

3. For some divisions they provide laptops for usage and encourage Work from home (one day in a week). Looks Good!!!.. Recently many of my colleagues had issues with IT division on laptop issue and maintenance. They issue old laptops and enforce usage beyond warranty period. Any issue when the laptop is out of warranty "IT division" harass employees mentioning that as physical damage. Finally with some management approvals they fix the issue.. Bad part is still you get to work on the fixed defective laptop which is out of Warranty.

One senior manager from "IT division" mentioned that laptop has to run for 3 extra years after warranty (total 5 - 6 years). I dint understand this point, Even manufacturer donot provide warranty beyond 3 years understanding that product can function well only till 3-4 years. Wonder how they expect employees to work with "OUT of warranty" laptops and harass them on top of that.

A great university; but reorgs galore!

Former Employee - Group Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great university to work at: multiple divisions, groups and technologies all in one company: you can pick multiple hardware, software, application domains.

Cons

Reorgs and politics! Once you get into management, you tend to get sucked into the management politics! you never know who will be your manager next. Compensation is ok. But very little focus on employee engagement, training etc

Become nimble and quick while being a large company or get eaten eaten up!

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!