Great place to work, watch out for employee reduction(s)

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Ormond Beach, FL (US)
Former Employee - Supervisor in Ormond Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Never boring, many departments to crosstrain into, fast paced and interesting.

Cons

Nationwide layoff of over 4000 managers, six weeks prior to Christmas in 2004 to meet stockholder income predictions for that year. Then the company sponsors Nascar in early 2005. Priorities?

Way too many incoming trucks of new inventory per week to handle properly under labor guidelines.

Other Reviews for Office Depot

Easy job, horrible company

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ok for part time people.
    It is an easy job, if you can force yourself to not care about your work environment or upper management treating you like garbage.

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. With the roll out of their new program, ISCE (In-Store Customer Experience), the company on a store level has gone drastically down hill. You are forced to audibly track every customer in the store, at all times. If you don't do this, you will get written up. Assistant and Store managers are required to sit in the parking lot and listen to the radio chatter to ensure the employees are constantly talking. Also, they track how many people come into the store compared to how many purchases there are. You must also maintain an average transaction dollar amount. These things are what determine your evaluation at the end of the year also. So if customers come in and don't buy stuff because the prices, that you don't determine, are too high. Well, no raise for you.

Also, if you have any problems with higher up people, good luck getting a problem solved, they either black list you or fire you (I have worked with a few highers that will try to work with you, but very few).

If you are in management, you better sign up for an unlimited texting plan. I receive at least 10 texts each day - even on my off days, telling me how the store is doing, what we, as managers, are doing wrong, things that need to be corrected. About 1 out 10 of these messages will be positive.

Also, if you have any extra activities or family plans outside of your work schedule, they hassle you. They expect you (managers) to be available 24/7/365.

The attitude of people on the store level is what makes the job the hardest. Everyone is forced to perform on an unrealistic level constantly. We have part time people at my store working 40 plus hours, management working 12 hour shifts and no end in sight. It definitely takes a toll on you. The store managers think if they reward the store with a free lunch or meal every so often, everything is hunky dory.

Modify the ISCE program - it has some good points, but overall, it is causing the stores to fail. Stores are falling apart and so are employees.
    Don't be afraid to listen to those who are actually in the field; feedback from us is realistic, not based on charts and graphs.

Used to be an excellent company to work for...

Current Employee - Technology Specialist  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For a retail sales associate position, my pay was adequate. Under the company's current policies, though it is very rare that sales associates become eligible to earn commission, when we do, it is a nice bonus.

Cons

Office Depot's new customer service program known as "ISCE" is nothing more than a dog and pony show for upper level managers to listen to in the store parking lot. (ISCE requires unnecessary radio communication, and hinders the associate's ability to focus on the customer.) While ISCE brought about some good ideas, the execution was very poor...

The company's problem resolution process is also completely broken. If you have an issue with your manager, there is nothing in place to prevent them from retaliating against you if you dare report their illegal behavior. I personally witnessed a pregnant employee get harassed each day she came to work, when she reported the behavior, they terminated her before the management could be punished.

I've worked for the same store for 4 years, and I have never seen a single internal promotion. Management frequently gets shuffled around making it difficult to develop steady working relationships.

Lets stop playing games with the radios, and lets get back to doing what we used to de best: Taking Care of Business. Also, promote from within!

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!