There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Great company for domestic work

Current Employee - Geologist  in  Bakersfield, CA (US)
Current Employee - Geologist in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Very flat organization. If you have a good idea, it is executed very quickly. Management generally allows you to do your work without unnecessary oversight...they do not micro-manage. Pay and benefits are reasonable. I would guess that compensation is about average for the industry, which is okay with me considering that my work environment is very positive. They often award employees credit for previous industry experience for vacation purposes. Also, most geologists and engineers have an office as opposed to a cubicle. Organizational changes are common, which I view as a pro. I like to keep things fresh.

Cons

Currently understaffed, so we are all very busy. Sometimes upper management seems to reverse course very quickly. Oxy is known for layoffs. A couple of years ago, they did a substantial layoff when the stock was at a record high. People are often shuffled around, so if you don't like change this could be a con (I consider it a pro). If you are interested in international work, the locations that Oxy has to offer are limited...Houston, California, and a couple of places in South America and the Middle East are the only locations Oxy has to offer. I would love to see Oxy gain a presence in some different parts of the world. The lack of international locations that interest me is the biggest con in my opinion.

Avoid massive layoffs in the future. Although there is a genuine labor shortage currently, part of Oxy's difficulties in meeting staffing needs are related to the company having a reputation in the industry for doing layoffs, even when profits are high.

154 Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Glad it's a place I used to work

Former Employee - IT Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Plenty of work; variety is available

Cons

Too much work; little or no appreciation for a job well done. Pigeon-holing is rampant: if you're good at something, it's the only thing you're good at.

Stop moving managers around like chess pawns. Listen to all opinions not just opinions from the favorites.

Perhaps the worst of the oil and gas companies

Former Employee - Facilities Engineer  in  Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Facilities Engineer in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I worked at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Comparable health and retirement benefits package to other companies
    Vacation accrual method is a plus

Cons

Negative reputation of the company is well deserved
    Very little promotion from within
    Workplace victimization is common
    High turnover of employees, especially within engineering
    Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies
    Overseas assignments very poorly organized
    Lack of accountability and responsibility by some staff and departments

Something needs to be done about work environment. Too high a turnover of professional positions has resulted in very low productivity and morale. Many staff are kept in positions for years, forcing others to move elsewhere for opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!