Occidental Petroleum
www.oxy.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Great company for domestic work

Geologist (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

ProsVery flat organization. If you have a good idea, it is executed very quickly. Management generally allows you to do your work without unnecessary oversight...they do not micro-manage. Pay and benefits are reasonable. I would guess that compensation is about average for the industry, which is okay with me considering that my work environment is very positive. They often award employees credit for previous industry experience for vacation purposes. Also, most geologists and engineers have an office as opposed to a cubicle. Organizational changes are common, which I view as a pro. I like to keep things fresh.

ConsCurrently understaffed, so we are all very busy. Sometimes upper management seems to reverse course very quickly. Oxy is known for layoffs. A couple of years ago, they did a substantial layoff when the stock was at a record high. People are often shuffled around, so if you don't like change this could be a con (I consider it a pro). If you are interested in international work, the locations that Oxy has to offer are limited...Houston, California, and a couple of places in South America and the Middle East are the only locations Oxy has to offer. I would love to see Oxy gain a presence in some different parts of the world. The lack of international locations that interest me is the biggest con in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid massive layoffs in the future. Although there is a genuine labor shortage currently, part of Oxy's difficulties in meeting staffing needs are related to the company having a reputation in the industry for doing layoffs, even when profits are high.

Great experience, really allowed me to get my foot in the door within the industry.

Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

Pros: Wonderful team atmosphere to keep employees motivated about the difference they are making both at home and in the work place.… Cons: As an analyst, you may be under paid and under… Advice to Senior Management: Occidental has a wonderful management team. Management should be more aware of their employees skills… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Glad it's a place I used to work

IT Consultant (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Occidental Petroleum

Pros: Plenty of work; variety is available Cons: Too much work; little or no appreciation for a job well done. Pigeon-holing… Advice to Senior Management: Stop moving managers around like chess pawns. Listen to all… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Occidental Petroleum.

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Occidental Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Occidental Petroleum CEO Stephen I. Chazen. All reviews posted anonymously by Occidental Petroleum employees.