There are newer employer reviews for Novell

Sad to See a Former Great Company Go Down the Tubes

Former Employee - Application Engineer  in  Provo, UT (US)
Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Novell

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, nice co-workers, excellent facilities, bonuses

Cons

The company has a reputation of doing layoffs each year. They are in a downward death spiral that may not bottom out. Working there is pleasant, but you must constantly wonder if you will have a job the next week.

Stop changing directions every few months. Focus on selling stuff. Stop trying to be "the big player". Novell is no longer a powerhouse.

294 Other Employee Reviews for Novell (View Most Recent)

Challenging Environment

I worked at Novell

Pros

Engaging people with forward looking goals. Exciting products and projects. Great facilities. Very supporting environment. Opportunities to grow and expand. Very comfortable feeling.

Cons

Monoculture of people with limited exposure to other areas. People were almost too nice and sometimes not critical enough when they should have been.

Hire younger, more critical people and thin the entitled journeymen at the top of the pay scale. Expand to new areas.

Great student job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT (US)

I have been working at Novell

Pros

As a student at BYU, Novell has been EXTREMELY flexible with my work schedule. I make my own hours, and when I need time off as long as I let them know in advance I'm able to take off as much as I need. I've gained incredible work experience here as well, being able to work on great projects that often times the Board of Directors see.

Cons

I would be afraid to work here if I were planning on building a long term career starting at Novell. There's not a lot of room to grow.

There's also been uncertainty around Novell's financial stability. Recent rumors of a possible by out (although denied by the CEO) are one example of the uncertainty the company faces. Novell's been around for a while, yes, but its continued long term viability remains to be seen.

Focus on long-term and not short term results. For example, the company recently finished a "100-in-100" campaign, with the goal being to invoice $100 million in revenue in 100 days. If management really wants to build long-term shareholder wealth, they'd focus on longer-term initiatives and not promote the bad habits that evolve from these short-term initiatives.

There are newer employer reviews for Novell

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!