There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust

Good place to start career and learn

Current Employee - Loan Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
Current Employee - Loan Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good reputation in the industry, solid and stable business that has been around forever, overall high net worth clientele due to nature of business (private banking)

Cons

Very conservative in all aspects (not necessarily bad), technology is dated and systems need updating, change is slow to happen

489 Other Employee Reviews for Northern Trust (View Most Recent)

Working for the Gray Lady of La Salle Street

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability. Enjoy your job because it won't change for thirty years.

Cons

There is no chance for advancement and rampant nepotism.

Promote from within. Managers have little to no understanding of what their employees are doing day to day.

Not a challenging environment

Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a LOT of flexibility. Great for family man/woman. Getting fired is near impossible.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Moving up within your department is difficult. They don't get rid of under performing employees. The "training" they offer is a waste of time. I couldn't believe I was paid to train for a month and when I was finally assigned to my team, I was told by everyone on the team to forget what I learned. Northern prides its self in being conservative, but I believe there is a difference between being conservative and being old fashioned. They need to get with the times. I'll finish by saying again that their pay is terrible which is why they can't retain any talent.

Offer better pay incentives. You need to challenge employees more, they are craving it, and with it compensation in return. Ask yourself what kind of culture are you breeding? You pay below the industry standard, you let good talent leave, and don't set the bar very high for those that remain. Looking for a job can be daunting especially if you have a family, but quite the opposite when jobs find you. We live in a time where social media and the internet is making it easier for headhunters and recruiters to find talent within companies

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!