New York Public Library
www.nypl.org New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Good cause, Excellent benefits, Rigid Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Public Library full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, Excellent opportunities for librarians working in specialized fields, Unusually high compensation for librarians, Supportive learning and development department. The opportunity to work at one of the best libraries in the world.

ConsLots of uncertainty about funding and constant threat of lay-offs. Evenings and weekends are usually required even in positions that would not normally require them--professionals who are not librarians. Very active rumor mill.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe flat organizational structure seems to be more of a myth than a reality. The only evidence I saw of it in my tenure there was a sharp reduction in administrative support, and executive responsibility without empowering professional and clerical staff to take more control over their work.

They take advantage of students

Library Page (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Public Library part-time for less than a year

Pros: It's a flexible job hours, librarians do alright. Cons: Very low pay, management is reluctant to offer raises but… Advice to Senior Management: Don't treat students like idiot's No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Hard place to build a career these days

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Public Library full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Wonderful mission and employees. I gained amazing experience and working with… Cons: Current management is not supporting employee success. They are trying to implement much needed standards, but are not giving people the support needed… Advice to Senior Management: Hold people to high standards, but give them respect. More

There are newer reviews on New York Public Library.

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Public Library CEO Anthony Marx. All reviews posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees.