Netflix

www.netflix.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Great place to work

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)
Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Extremely open and honest culture to work in.
Management takes pride in culture and therefore is very candid about both the strategy of the company, and the challenges ahead of us.

Very flat organization.

Cons

No clear career path or career development provided. "High performance" culture means that we aim to hire very talented people (which is great), but we don't hestitate to let some one go if its not going to be a good fit over the long-run.

Continue being open and candid about our strategic direction; it's extremely helpful in providing both context and unity of purpose.

452 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Smart People; Poor Management

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Pay 14 bucks to start
    Free Plan
    Super Smart team mates. Leaving my team was the worst part of loosing my job. They were all smart, witty and funny

Cons

Fear based management
    No rules or policies
    No paid time off

My first TM (team manager) spoke to me for a total of 10 minutes during my first 6 months there. She was fired without explanation after 360 reviews. My second TM was present during all team meetings but was usually busy on a laptop IM'ing with someone else rather than participating.

Even during my firing she was on her phone texting. I was given no information outside of a prepared packet and was asked to sign zero paperwork. I was escorted from the building like a criminal and the only reason anyone knew I had left was because of a pre-written email I was able to send when I returned to my desk to gather my things. Fear for your job makes you write an exit email months before you loose your job

Speak to your employees! Don't treat adults like they are children. TM's should give Supervisors the ability to make decisions about their teams rather than having to go through multiple people to get an answer. Give good feedback along with bad. I only received praise about awesome statistics when I brought it up to my supe. Realize that the pool of people in Portland is dwindling and people are aware of how bad the conditions really are. No amount of free mac and cheese can bring in the masses.

Total Lack Of Respect For Employees

I worked at Netflix

Pros

-$$$$$$$$$$!!! ($13-$14/hr to start w/full time hours immediately)
    -Free rental subscription--the highest one they offer (8 @ a time)
    -Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance available right away
    -free food in breakroom along with Netflix connection & big screen TV to watch shows
    -showers in bathrooms if you walk/ride a bike and need to clean up before work
    -peers are fun to work with
    -high speed internet & laptops available to check e-mail, facebook, myspace on breaks

Cons

-fear-based company
    -anyone higher up than you will NOT respect you. Period.
    -cliquish environment (if you're not with the in crowd, you're invisible.)
    -very poor communication about job performance
    -do not uphold their own company values
    -rarely promote from within
    -contradictions galore!

In the nine days I was there for training before being unfairly dismissed, I saw several examples of employees being treated like children and unreasonably scolded. One girl was in the classroom 5 minutes before break was over. She suddenly had a bathroom emergency, so she left quickly to take care of it. She made it back just as they were shutting the door. On the next break, she was taken aside by the supervisor (supe) who said, "I noticed you made it back from break just as I was shutting the door. I just wanted to let you know that's unacceptable. You need to be back from break several minutes early." (In other words, you really don't get your full break.) She apologized, saying she'd been there five minutes early but had an emergency. He said, "I'm sure it won't happen again."

One girl had to call in sick because her child gave her the flu. They forced her to speak to three different people who scolded her, the last of which was the call center manager himself! He said he was going to give her the opportunity to come in for the rest of the week.

Another girl simply asked her neighbor for a pen during class. She was pulled into a conference room afterward and told by two different supes that talking during class was unacceptable and wouldn't be tolerated.

Netflix has a zero-tolerance policy for what they call "push back". They touched on this very briefly in class during our second week of training. The example they gave was this: "If your supe tells you to change something and you say, 'I don't feel like it, so I'm not going to', that's considered push back and will not be tolerated." Basically, it's outright insubordination. My supe said I needed to work on verifying every account. When people call in, their account auto-pops onscreen....unless they don't give their service code to the automated answering service before they're transferred to a live person. This happens about half the time and it's mostly people who don't have accounts and are just asking about the service. So I asked my supe, "Is that even when they're just calling with a general question about the website?" He said we needed to at least ask for a name and warned me that what I'd just said was considered push back but he'd let it slide this time. I was baffled but just said, "Okay." The same supe told me he liked that I was resolution oriented because that was a good thing. An hour later, he took it back saying it was bad and I needed to focus on empathy. When I was let go, they gave me the opportunity to give feedback. I mentioned the contradictions I'd noticed and also that I didn't understand how asking a simple question during training was considered "push back". I was told that it's all about perception and I just wasn't a right fit. They also said this sort of thing happens often.

Before you go to work for Netflix, ask yourself this: if the pay is excellent and the benefits are great, why is the turnover rate at Netflix so high? Why are there so many bad employee reviews out there? Notice the recurring themes in the reviews, i.e. lack of respect, no job security, fear based business, no career growth opportunity, etc. There comes a time when the realization that it's not everybody else, it's the company, has to set in.

Be more reasonable with your employees. Maybe if you applied the same amount of empathy you insist on for call flow to your staff, people would be more inclined to stay with you.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix