Netflix

www.netflix.com

Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros* Best place if you just want to work with great technically capable folks.
* 15-20% higher pay but if you actually consider everything, it might not be that big of a deal. Check what will be in-hand salary after taxes because taxes also go high with salary.
* Somewhat transparent workplace but at times higher management takes ridiculous decisions like Quickster, what the hell....
* Reed gets thing right most of the time (except Quickster) and understand what he is doing.

Cons* Worst place where all technically capable folks are also so heavy on political games within the team. Also it depends on which team you are part of. My general observation is, larger the team greater the politics being played within.
* IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are. I have seen ppl being walked out they were far more talented than other mediocre engineers surviving there for 3-4 years just because they lick the managers a*s and I have seen managers loving it being licked :)
* Few managers who came from Google or some other similar companies, think that they know everything in the world and act as if they rule the world but actually they are literally dumb a*s when it comes to real work.
* They claim it is all rockstar engineers and the fire who are not but I have seen ppl surviving for ages not even knowing what they did for all these years at Netflix and they are pure mediocre engineers.
* My advice to engineers would be if you are happy with the work what you are doing right now or with other offers in hand, don't fall for the salary trap, it is merely an illusion.

Advice to Senior Management* Gets rid of all mediocre managers, directors and those stupid engineers.
* Change the culture of fear from its root because that creates so much politics inside. I have never seen such a political environment in my 10 yrs career.

Know yourself, then manage your path accordingly

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Brilliant co-workers, opportunities to have a direct impact, minimal nit-picking bureaucracy or corporate policies, dynamic energy as the company continually evolves. Company does… Cons: Dynamic environment does not work for a 'do my work and go home' employee or those who just want to show up and be told… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Big company with the heart of a startup

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros: -Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management.… Cons: -This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself… Advice to Senior Management: We're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!