Netflix
www.netflix.com Los Gatos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Formerly 5-star, now a bit adrift

Director of Engineering (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart co-workers with the basics of a great corporate culture.
Lack or management direction means lots of job flexibility (back-handed pro?).
Good product that has potential.

ConsLacking a future strategic vision from the exec team.
Not an innovation culture for engineers, more of a tinkering culture with mindless obsession to A/B testing.
Didn't learn from the Qwikster debacle and hasn't returned to a focus on customers - they're just numbers on a chart to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize Netflix needs to be more than just a content middle-man to succeed long term.

I had a great ride at Netflix up to the point where Reed torpedoed the company with the Qwikster idiocy. Despite the obsession with testing user experience, almost nothing was done to test consumer reaction to the Qwikster plan before it was announced (haphazardly at that).

Put customers first again and deliver the BEST combined streaming and DVD experience possible. Despite the religious conviction to kill the DVD business, wait on doing this until the rest of the population is ready for it. Forcing the issue is hurting Netflix in the short term, and this damage is opening an opportunity for competition.

Excellent peers

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros: High transparency, management generally open to feedback, free food Cons: Lots of smart folks working together can sometimes lead to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very good pay and they make you pay for it

Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros: Very good pay Free movies Popcorn Tools are pretty good for a call center Lots… Cons: Horrible benefits. You pay a lot for nothing. Don't be fooled by the extra allotment No vacation policy means no vacations. The managers and HR are… Advice to Senior Management: Take care of the DVD business or shut it down.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.