Was sad to see the company change so much in one year

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room to make your own decisions and think on your feet

Cons

When the price change occurred it was a cluster bomb that went off. Then it was announced the company was splitting to two (one DVD and one Streaming) and then it was announced none of that was happening. All the while customers were up in arms over this and we in management were always finding things out at the same time customers were so we had no time to prep our staff. Some very hard months for moral with our staff. Lost a lot of trust with our employee base in terms of management to subordinate relations.

Make sure your mid-level management knows anything key before the public gets it through the blogs, etc. They have to have time to prep their staff and gain buy-in to make a successful transition occur with company changes and/or snaffus.

Other Reviews for Netflix

Definitely different

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Genuinely great company, culture, people (seriously GREAT people!)
    - Reed Hastings is pretty awesome
    - They walk the walk in their culture deck

Overall, I highly recommend this company, with the caveat that the "sports team" culture can be at odds with a good work/life balance. If you're a workaholic, set your boundaries and defend them, otherwise you will drown.

While the culture *is* different and genuine, keep in mind that (like any other company in the Valley), your experience at this company is mostly dependent on your relationship with your direct manager and the people around you. Personally, I've been happier at far worse companies because I had a better relationship with coworkers and peers.

Cons

- The lack of PTO is a two-edged sword. Great that you can take what you need when you need; bad that there's never a good time to take time off. If you have any responsibility and you're taking any significant chunk of time, don't be surprised to find yourself on a working vacation.
    - You will get tired of hearing "That's what Reed wants" and not being given further context. Granted, this might only a problem if you're not a good follower.
    - The "Do it now, fix it later" attitude runs the risk of having things that are "good enough" but not great. The momentum will often keep you building on something "good enough," but not necessarily something of which you're actually proud.

Slow down just a tiny bit and put a little more thought into some of the things you do. The "do it now, fix it later" lends itself to unnecessary sloppiness.

Very good learning experience at a cost of a lot of heartache

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor III  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor III in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits. They typically pay above scale and provide benefits from the time you become a full time employee.

Cons

Management, on several occasions missed their mark on several key initiatives in the center. Specifically they never had a clue what was happening on the floor in regards to employee satisfaction and were never involved in developing employees to rank up.

"Manage up or out" was stated on several occasions and this approach is what developed a culture of fear in the call center. High turnover is never a positive motivating factor and management was quick to let go of the people who stood against that ideal.

I would share advice but management seems to agree with Hastings' approach of shooting from the hip and not listening to his trusted advisors.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!