Netflix
www.netflix.com Los Gatos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Lost their way

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- top of market base salary
- 4 DVD out plan is free
- do not penny pinch on equipment, get whatever you want.

Cons- freedom and responsbility is their mantra when you're hired, but it is not practiced by new managers.
- people get fired all the time for disagreeing or questioning management on anything.
- On some teams(mine, not all) there was no collaboration in design between managers and programmers. The managers designed it and the only freedom the programmers had was to develop it exactly in that manner. If you disagreed with the design, you guessed it: your fired.
- even star performers routinely get the axe. Others remaining are understandably nervous about their jobs.
- so called stock plan makes no sense at all. Only plan I've ever heard of where an employee has to risk his own money to participate.
- benefits are awful if you have a family. It cost me $800/month to have medical and dental for the family of 4. If your single, your completely covered.
- no vacation paid when you leave. This is also a plus in a way though. Netflix does not track vacation time at all. If you take too much though, you will get fired without warning.

Advice to Senior Management- take off that powerpoint presentation from jobs.netflix.com about the Netflix culture. It no longer applies. Netflix has turned into the mature company that is envisioned in the slide deck. Star performers no longer want to work there.

Really great place to work!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros: The company has a really good philosophy about not imposing burdensome processes and rules. It also treats people as adults and assumes everyone knows the… Cons: There can be a high turnover. People are let go… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

For Hub Manager -Great Pay, but zero job security or training, or stability.

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros: - Pay - Challenge - Can't think of another. Cons: - Nature of the position was not presented accurately before hiring. (they sold it as an HR position, but it was a glorified mechanic/ops manager… Advice to Senior Management: Realize that turnover costs a lot of money. Either your hiring process is seriously off (and it is), or you need to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.