There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Salary 15% above market , Duration of employment 90% below market, Worst culture to work in

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

You get paid 15% above market rate.
I was making 165k in my last company (150k base + 15-20% bonus) in a stress free environment
and then one fine day i found an opening at netflix which suited my profile.
applied , gave the interview and they offered my 180k total.
like a fool i jumped onboard.
lost my job after 9 months and now back in the market.
and yes those 9 months were no less than delivering a baby.

Cons

just after joining i realized that the guy sitting right next to me was fired few weeks ago.
as i spent more time i realized most of the people around me were no more than an yr old.
the work was too much but i thought they are paying me more so i worked hard at it.
turns out i had 2 slight disagreements with a member in another team and bammm .....i was gone....

the company has a very simple philosophy....if things are not 100% perfect ...fire and hire ......rinse and repeat........

dont make the mistake i made....dont leave your stress free environment for 10-15k etc because you going to end up being fired the moment your performance falls below 100%

reed thinks he is doing a great job..... i wonder does he ever read the reviews here on glassdoor.
the only problem is these reviews are flooded by CS so hard to read the real software engg reviews.....

412 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

For Hub Manager -Great Pay, but zero job security or training, or stability.

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Pay
    - Challenge
    - Can't think of another.

Cons

- Nature of the position was not presented accurately before hiring. (they sold it as an HR position, but it was a glorified mechanic/ops manager job).
    - The turnover is insane. Out of about 65 hubs (at the time), there were about 6 emails about managers who were terminated my first week. That rate was very common.
    - There is absolutely no training or assistance if you need it.
    - You are viewed as a commodity.
    - They feel (and they'll tell you so!) that they can pay you a lot so you can produce fabulous results no matter what.
    - They fire people for no reason. I believe during the economic downturn maybe they fired a lot of management to replace with cheaper managers, but that may have even been going on before I got there.
    - They wanted to penalize me for having too many cracked discs in my hub, but couldn't find anything my employees or myself were doing wrong. Offerred no helpful advice, etc. Said we were doing great. Got canned anyway. I always had great reviews, above average everywhere else I've ever worked.

Realize that turnover costs a lot of money. Either your hiring process is seriously off (and it is), or you need to develop a training/follow up program for management. You aren't getting the results you want with ANY managers? Maybe the common denominator is you.

Work hard, be innovative, and always be prepared

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Your peers are excellent and from all walks of life
    Training is encouraged and done well
    work/life balance exists

Cons

this is not a long term choice and the culture deck is true

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix