There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Hunt

An enjoyable place to work, your colleagues and management really made the difference. Supportive and collabrative.

I worked at Morgan Hunt

Pros

Great training provided, solid opportunities to everyone even if new to recruitment.
Good working environment based in lovely offices in Central London.

Cons

Subject to long hours but this is true in any recruitment environment; however you are not expected to take work home in the evenings or weekends.

Advice to Management

Its important to listen and know your employees; be aware of their motivations and what makes them tick - will allow you to bring the best potential out of them.

reviews filtered by
  1. An excellent place to begin a career in recruitment

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the right attitude, work-ethic and aptitude the 'on-the-job' and classroom based training builds a solid understanding and expertise in recruitment. They teach you the ABCs. It is an excellent place to begin a career.

Since I have left a number of people have gone up the ranks at Morgan Hunt - one is even on the board (so I understand). Such organic growth is actually rather rare in the cut-throat recruitment industry. The opportunities for promotion are genuinely there - clearly.

The Old Bailey offices are the best I have ever worked in. The Morgan Hunt reputation in the public sector recruitment world is genuinely second to none. They are a market leader and truly specialist agency.

I look back fondly on my time in Morgan Hunt and wish them well moving forward.

Cons

At the time (2010/11) the Commission structure was very poor. Once you had proved your worth as a Consultant by making placements and generating revenue, you were awarded commission by your manager. The commission was based on 10% of team revenue being shared equally among those on the team who were ‘on Commission’. As nice as this sounds, in practice it means that someone billing £20k revenue per month was paid the same commission as someone billing £40k per month. After a while it only bred resentment among the higher billers. Indeed, as soon as I realised I could earn a lot more money in an Individual Commission agency I left the business.

At the time, Consultants were very heavily targeted with close to 20 KPIs per month - and heavily scrutinised on whether these targets were hit or not. If Consultants weren't successful the KPIs were a very convenient means by which to performance manager under-performers out of the business.

With this in mind, retention of new joiners was very low and during my two years in the business I saw a lot of new recruits come and go very quickly indeed. This is, however, an industry wide issue.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't dream of making comment to the management of Morgan Hunt now; it has been several years since I worked there.
    At the time, I would have suggested getting rid of the team commission structure and instigating an individual based structure to truly reward those who have billed the most money.

2. Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Morgan Hunt

Pros

Amazing buzz in the office
    Great location - right next to the old bailey!
    Drinks in Jamie's on a Thursday and Friday!

Cons

Terrible base salary and commission structure (20-22k base, commission is 10% of your personal billings after the 4k cap)
    Cliquey middle management - if you tell your manager something in confidence you can guarantee the whole office knows by 12pm.
    Claim to have a working together/ team work ethnic - nothing of the sort. If you are a top biller you are untouchable.
    Poor management of employee expectations ( will promise you the world with no clear route to achieving senior consultant).
    Poor training
    Extremely KPI driven (2 hours on the phone daily)
    Micromanaged - don't expect your manager to believe you when you have a doctors appointment (you must be interviewing else where).
    20 days holidays! (what a joke)
    hours 8-6 ( says 8.30 on the contract but if you arrive later than 8.02 you are deemed as "late"')
    minimal benefits - cycle to work scheme, 20 days holidays..
    High staff turnover - basically an old person after 2 months.

Advice to Management

sort out this chimpanzees tea party! Treat your staff better to reduce your high turn over!