Modern Woodmen

www.modern-woodmen.org
There are newer employer reviews for Modern Woodmen

Modern Woodmen of America: Touching lives. Securing Futures

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Tacoma, WA (US)
Current Employee - Financial Representative in Tacoma, WA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

The possibility for advancement are only limited by the amount of work that you are willing to put forth. If management is for you, than you have the best opportunity in the financial services industry to advance into management. The benefits package is amazing, there is an old-fashioned pension, which gives you an extra incentive to work hard.

Cons

If you are a person that is not good at time management, this job is not for you. Also if you are not good at keeping track of what you do, you could have problems. As you have no "boss" per-se, you need to keep careful watch of the time you use and don't use.

Keep being hands on, and make sure that you keep close watch on the reps that have been contracted for fewer than 6 months.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Modern Woodmen (View Most Recent)

The best job and most fulfilling experience I have ever had

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My favorite parts of working for Modern Woodmen are:
    1. Working with people and helping others
    2. Education: Modern Woodmen pays and encourages continuing education and training, monthly, quarterly and annually to enable the sky as the limit as far as your financial education and practices go.
    3. Flexibility: I am an entrepreneur and business consultant. I run a start-up, consult other business owners and entrepreneurs and it all rolls into my practice with Modern Woodmen. I am able to run my start-up, help others with their business practices, while at the same time, assisting them as clients with growing, protecting and properly planning their personal, family and business goals.

Cons

The only two cons I have seen at Modern Woodmen is:
    1. Not having a base salary. There is a $2,000 draw that you are eligible for, where you can receive $500 every Friday to keep you rolling. This is credited to your account and as you close sales, your commissions will repay the draw.
    2.BDA (Business Development Allowance): Your first 2 years you are eligible for BDA Bonuses, but they are capped out at $2,000 per month. They are 50% of your commissions, so, for example, if you do $10,000 in sales in one month, you will receive $5,000 in commissions. The BDA will give you 50% of your commissions, in this case $2,500 would be your BDA for that month. Since the BDA caps at $2,000 per month, your $2,500 BDA this month will only pay $2,000, the other $500 will roll over to the following month. The following month, you will receive the $500 BDA. Now, if you continue to hit over the $2,000 BDA every month, then it will keep rolling over. This is a good problem to have, but on the con side, if you make $20,000 in one month, you will not receive all of your bonus credit that month. On the bright side, this can be used sort of as a "Paid vacation" where if you have BDA rolling over every month, you can take a month or two off and still receive your $2,000 BDA that have been rolling over every month.

Set up a draw for new agents early on. Having access to capital will make agents more mobile and more confident. Since it takes a few months to settle into this new, amazing, career - having access to this capital without worry will lower stress and make the transition easy, showing higher results early on. I can not speak for all regions, but our region in Cary, NC has amazing company cultures. The company, as a whole, being Fraternal has amazing benefits and company culture. The Cary, NC, Doug Polk region has amazing management, company culture and open door policies that have allowed me to come in, get out of previous debt from a failed start-up and become the highest selling agent in the region, in just 3 months. In November, 2014, I received an award for the most business done in the nation. In August, 2014, when I entered, I was in debt $10,000 and had a rough start. They listened to me, put faith in me and gave me the resources and confidence I needed to now be the highest selling agent in the nation for the entire company, last month. This month, my numbers are even higher and we still have one week left. I hope to accomplish this award every month, but so far, I know I will have it at least 2 months in a row and that is greatly related to the training and values I have learned from our management team. This is my dream career and I will be doing this for the rest of my life, I know that because I love the job and the people. I know I will be happy here for a very long time and I trust my family and friends to be invested in this company, as well.

Good Experience

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

I increased my communication skill.

Cons

It was hard for me to find a client

There are newer employer reviews for Modern Woodmen