There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft is a big company, with pockets of greatness and pockets of sadness to found

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft allows an individual to have a career maintained with one company because there are so many technologies to work with, and numerous organizations as well.

Cons

Policies around performance review are severly antiquated and do not have concrete, measurable goals that are guaranteed to further your career.

Get rid of any type of labels altogether (e.g. level 65, contribution rating, job title, etc..). For commitments, have 2 - achived and didn't achieve. Reward greatness on a case by case basis. This will help people focus on their job and ignore distractions like who got what.

8056 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

It all depends on your manager and your group.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

In 9 years at Microsoft, I've had 7 managers. I've had various positions including SDET and PM. The best times I had were when I had the good luck of working in a department with a culture that was a good fit for me, with managers who were very supportive and had a genuine interest in helping me advance my career. Since it's a very big company, if you find out that the group you're working in is not a good fit, there might be plenty of options to transfer internally to another group. I have worked in various groups, from games, to developer tools, to research, to Windows, all with very different cultures.

Cons

It's easy to get lost in the bureaucracy and feel like an anonymous cog in a wheel. One common problem I experienced in all my microsoft positions is that there's always quite a bit of overhead in your job to learning internal processes and navigating the bureaucracy.

There is a lot of endless reinventing the wheel that goes on across groups that don't communicate with each other. One department spends a ton of resources creating some infrastructure or development tool and another group won't even know about what the first group did and spends too much time creating their own.

Best employer

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

best benefits as compared to otehr compaines

Cons

need more growth in the yearly appraiasal system

More exoperienced

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!