Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft is a big company, with pockets of greatness and pockets of sadness to found

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft allows an individual to have a career maintained with one company because there are so many technologies to work with, and numerous organizations as well.

Cons

Policies around performance review are severly antiquated and do not have concrete, measurable goals that are guaranteed to further your career.

Get rid of any type of labels altogether (e.g. level 65, contribution rating, job title, etc..). For commitments, have 2 - achived and didn't achieve. Reward greatness on a case by case basis. This will help people focus on their job and ignore distractions like who got what.

9227 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

It all depends on your manager and your group.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

In 9 years at Microsoft, I've had 7 managers. I've had various positions including SDET and PM. The best times I had were when I had the good luck of working in a department with a culture that was a good fit for me, with managers who were very supportive and had a genuine interest in helping me advance my career. Since it's a very big company, if you find out that the group you're working in is not a good fit, there might be plenty of options to transfer internally to another group. I have worked in various groups, from games, to developer tools, to research, to Windows, all with very different cultures.

Cons

It's easy to get lost in the bureaucracy and feel like an anonymous cog in a wheel. One common problem I experienced in all my microsoft positions is that there's always quite a bit of overhead in your job to learning internal processes and navigating the bureaucracy.

There is a lot of endless reinventing the wheel that goes on across groups that don't communicate with each other. One department spends a ton of resources creating some infrastructure or development tool and another group won't even know about what the first group did and spends too much time creating their own.

Great company, but "big and slow"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Smart colleagues, lots of resources, decent pay, and great benefits. You get to work with software solutions and services that everyone knows.

Cons

The measurement of success for everyone is performance against their individual commitments; this puts focus on the individual's performance and not on teamwork or group performance. At best there is no reward or recognition for helping someone else meet their goals, and at worst the system can create outright competition between individuals or groups.

Developing software as a service and moving to the cloud is spot on. Really need to create more flexibility and be able to mobilize faster to develop solutions that competion is consistently beating you to.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft