Great opportunity, challenging environment.

Current Employee - Director  in  Redmond, WA (US)
Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunity to impact at global scale; compensation and benefits; opportunity to do many different jobs within one company; global opportunity.

Cons

Frequent and disruptive re-organizations; employee calibration system forces a ranking curve so every year 20% of employees receive a low ranking regardless of their contribution.

Other Reviews for Microsoft

Good Learning Ground

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good place to start off your career in that you can get exposure to a lot of different products/groups. Excellent health benefit package and gym benefits.

Cons

Extremely political and not very innovative. Work life balance is a struggle on most teams/organizations. While there are some good pockets within the company, constant re-orgs create too much churn.

lose the stack ranking system and political based re-orgs

Fresh Out Of College - Now, Three Years In

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Microsoft has some great opportunities. You can get your feet wet working on some products that will affect millions of people, there's tons of different things going on, and as a college hire fresh out of the box, I got a lot of training, mentoring and support. I would recommend working in Redmond - I'm at a remote site and, while there are still opportunities there, you don't get the culture and enthusiasm that you do at the mothership.

Cons

The stack ranking system rewards bad behavior. Getting noticed is what drives up your performance review, not doing the work on your desk, and I've seen good people go under because of it. The system just isn't incentivized to reward mentoring and people management. My two best people managers were cast out of the company, despite getting consistently high rankings from their employees and mentoring the shining stars on our team. It's just not valued, and it takes an individual's effort to buck the trend. If you're management doesn't choose to be invested in you, then you're stuck.

I see a lot of news media talking about the competitive threats to Microsoft, but the biggest threats I see are from within. There isn't enough top-down leadership that directs teams to all move in the same direction. What is termed giving responsibility to the lower levels ultimately results in individual teams doing what will position themselves best, and not what's in the best interests of the company. That's why you see some many conflicting or half-baked products out there. It's because some manager knew that getting his named attached to something new and shiny would do his career better than slogging through bureaucracy and resistance to partner with another team that has different priorities, in order to build a better experience for the customer. The structure of the company is built to produce software that does a lot but misses the mark, and to promote people who know how to work the system instead of create the product.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!