There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Best Company I have worked for.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smartest group of people an any company. Diverse, caring, professional, people do what it takes to get the job done. Not afraid to switch course quickly.

Cons

It is a large company.

Find a way to not be compared to Consumer Companies such as Apple and Google. Enterprise is a completely different market.

8412 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

So many opportunities

Former Employee - Group Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Group Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

vast resources - human and monetary, small team atmosphere (most of the time), there is a process involved but if you can dream it up -MS can make it happen, excellent salary/benefits package.

Cons

As with any large organization there is a fair bit of politicking going on and the old (and not so old) boy network is very strong. You will be expected to sacrifice everything to deliver - maybe not a con for some.

Probably time for some new blood at the top in several areas.

All the best technology. All the worst baggage.

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a fan of Microsoft products, there's no better place to use the latest technology. Depending on your group, you may be using products that aren't even available to the general public.

There isn't a single best way of doing things at Microsoft so each organization is free to develop their own best practices. From a career perspective, changing groups is like changing companies without having to start earning vacation again.

The privacy policies are top notch. I have a lot of faith in my employer doing the right thing with a customer's personal data (even when I'm the customer) because I've been a part of so many reviews where privacy is highlighted as one of the most important things.

Cons

Too many fiefdoms: Microsoft was once a place where the best technical solution would win the day. There was time to argue the best way of implementing a feature. There are some important people around with delicate egos. Say the wrong thing and they will go out of their way to put in a bad word at review time.

Easy to get stuck in the wrong role: I've witnessed people getting dropped in the wrong role after a reorganization. If you haven't been in your current role for 12-18 months, you could get stuck in an area that's outside your specialization. Come review time, that could mean a black mark on your review or the end of your job.

1. Get Rid of Stack Ranking.
    2. A good technical person does not automatically mean a good lead.
    3. Put more weight into MSPoll. If seen entire groups flee when a bad manager came in. Figure out who those people are and don't allow them to become leads. A bad manager should not be allowed to become a manager of another group after they've messed up the previous one.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft