There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Excellent internship

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Flexible project choices
- Good mentorship/coaching experience
- Projects that make an impact
- Good networking opportunity with management and other teams
- As intern you get many intern related events, and of course the intern gift

Cons

- Didn't really take my team ranking into consideration, got assigned to a random team.
- Office type work environment vs. open space work environment (such as in Facebook or Google).
- No free food.

8429 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Amazing benefits and many opportunities. Competitive culture.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best benefits around make this an amazing place to work.
    Passionate and smart co-workers.
    Great focus on community and giving.

Cons

Competitive culture as a result of review system that stack ranks employees against each other. This alone is the most disheartening aspect of working at Microsoft as excellent performers can get average rankings since they are compared to other excellent peers. It also causes a lot of politics in the name of "visibility". Too much focus on internal politics and measures lead to an incredible amount of time spent on internal meetings and focus.

Change the review system to stop forced stack ranking of employees. Reduce internal scorecard tracking.

20+ years Microsoft Customer Services and Support

Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I always had managers who were fair and really wanted to reward people based on merit (work accomplished and impact made).
    I always felt fairly rewarded.
    I got to do some pretty cool work and work with passionate, enthusiastic, principled people.
    Fantastic benefits.
    I had a good work life balance and really appreciated that.

Cons

Sometimes it was tough to get management support, coaching and feedback. They were busy...
    Microsoft would do well to have an internal recruiting program. When looking for other positions internally, HR would only offer, "Use the Career site and your network". I could have used help in finding roles that lined up with my skillset and interests.
    Sometimes I felt like Microsoft management HR mindset was, "Employees are our most valuable asset!! ...well, perhaps not you, specifically... but employees, in general, are our greatest asset!!!"
    At times, Microsoft would publicly support or not support particular polarizing social issues that were not directly related to the product or service or customer set. I don't think this behavior is appropriate for any public company.

Always work to define and communicate roles in terms of who is responsible for what, and then enforce it. This should limit the politics.
    If team work, collaboration and making others great are truly important, figure out a performance model that doesn't reward going it alone and leaving dead bodies behind. I realize that "The How" in the performance model is supposed to encourage that, but there's a lot of tension between "The How" and 'The What" + "Proven Capability"
    Figure out how to normalize the performance model so that everyone is rewarded based on merit on a team comprised of top performers or a team comprised of poor performers.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft