There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

toxic workplace.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people doing the work.
3D printing is the future.

Cons

I've been here less than a year, but here goes:

We just launched a new product yet morale is at an all-time low - and the top brass doesn't even know that's the reality, or refuses to confront it.

Very little respect for their own community and their own employees. Complete sense of entitlement from the top brass in every interaction between company and people.

CEO is like others have said way way in over his head. He's paranoid about everyone, that they're out to get him, and completely impulsive about every single aspect of the company and the products. He won't acknowledge his shortcomings, instead he prefers to pretend to know what he's doing.

He hired his father to run the marketing team. It's very weird.

CEO has over inflated ego that is constantly fed by everyone at the company all the time. He's bought into his own BS and acts like he's Steve Jobs. He's definitely not.

Work environment is completely paranoid - people are let go constantly with little regard. Blame is always on the employees without any sincere explanations, and often leads to impulsive firings.

Management never looks inwards for -their dissatisfaction - of employee's work, expectations, and reporting structure.

Expectation that you should be extremely grateful for even having a job at all- especially at this company. That only goes so far.

No longer a startup - gone corporate, but without the trappings, only the pitfalls.

what's there to say? This can't work long term, but maybe you don't care about the long term.

43 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

Worker bee

Current Employee - Maker Maker  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

be nice to your employees

An exciting and rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Marketing/Sales  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing/Sales in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

MakerBot is an amazing place to learn, contribute and help define a new industry and technology. I have already learned a ton and this place has helped me to take the next step in my career. It is exciting to be a part of a company that is growing very quickly and expanding internationally.

People are empowered to lead and take ownership, and managers trust their teams to drive the strategy and execute on the plan. The environment is fast paced, which keeps things interesting, and highly collaborative. The culture is very team oriented, which was a pleasant surprise when I got here, and the Marketing team in particular is a cohesive and strategic unit. It's great to be surrounded by smart people.

Having been agency-side for most of my career, the opportunity to now own the strategy and implement our vision has been inspiring and empowering. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

Cons

With extreme growth like MakerBot is currently experiencing, there are growing pains as the company continues to transition from a startup to a mature company. And now that MakerBot is owned by Stratasys, there is incredible pressure to drive revenue and accelerate our growth. It's a good challenge to have and the right way to focus growth, but it sometimes influences decisions too heavily and could have long term challenges in order to produce near term results.

Keep hiring great people and take care of them! There has definitely been an influx of talent that is exciting, and it is making a difference in how we are moving forward.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!