There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Good, Stable place to start out

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

flexible and stable working environment. Many employees have been at the company for a long time and they are great people to work with. Fabulous exec at the top. Great communicators.

Cons

Limited opportunities beyond manager level.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job.. we will get there with our strategies

reviews filtered by

Macy's can be a roller coaster ride, depending on your manager..

Former Employee - Placement Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Placement Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Macy's gave decent pay for my position, this could be because it was an early morning shift and because I was a college graduate. They give 10 employee paid days off after 1 year, offer a great discount on top of sale prices and offer special sales to employee friends and family a few times a year. If you have the right manager and a good team, it can be very rewarding, fun experience.

Cons

Macy's has a tendency to hire poor managers resulting in a high level of manager turnover. I don't know if its simply poor managers or poor training. Of course retail hours aren't always great especially during the holidays. They have a tendency to rely on gossip as their form of communication rather than being straight forward with their employees. By the time they address an issue, it usually becomes too late, after several people have quit.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who have had experience with people and have them learn all aspects of the positions in which they are managing.

Please make me a happy, proud Macy's associate.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Good benefits if you can get them.

Cons

No respect from management or customers. All push for getting charges and sales but no consideration for the fact there are too few associates working, too much area to cover by ones self, really bad pay raises (worked for Kaufmann's/Macy's for almost 9 years and do not even make $9 per hour), they've cut vacation time, they've pitted one associate against another for sales and accounts. Used to be fun but not any longer.

Advice to Management

Listen to those of us who are out on the floor.........give us a reason to want to come to work. You put us down at every turn. The more you work, the less you are appreciated. Proven full timers should have the pick of the shifts not the part timers. The part timers can work all dayturn if they want and no weekends. They can say if they want to work or not.........they can have a life...........not those of us who have put years into the company and proven ourselves to be useful, productive employees. Give us decent pay raises. What I make is a joke for the number of years I've been with the company. Do not rate our reviews on the entire store........rate us on what we do as individuals. Give us the help we need and do away with the dead wood in the store. Give me credit for what I do, sales/accounts/bridal work as we do not have a bridal consultant.