There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Great part time job/ hours are crazy

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate  in  Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Got along great with my co workers, first dibs on markdowns..great sales.

Cons

they would totally butcher your hours on a moments notice. You could become homeless if its your only job..

Get a skilled recovery team in the stores and pay them a little more money.

4618 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Movin' on up!

Current Employee - SSA  in  Roseville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SSA in Roseville, CA (US)

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a good employee, then you will go far with the company (and with the company's help).

Cons

The joy of the holidays only happens when they're over.

Please always try to fill your hours, even over fill them, because there will always be call outs. If the business is just not there for your hours filled, then we can always send people home early (and there are always takers).

There was no magic... it was mostly tragic

Former Employee - Commission Shoe Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Commission Shoe Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I first started working there I would have given it 2 or 3 stars because at the time things were decent. Full-time associates in shoe sales at that time were making 9% at that time, pt-timers a little bit less. There was plenty of competition but if you applied yourself you could make on avg $12-$18 an hr, w/ top sellers making more than that during good periods. I really enjoyed a lot of my coworkers, it was commissioned sales so you couldn't trust everyone, however we laughed a lot and had some fun. I also enjoyed meeting a lot of cool customers from all over the world who truly made my day go well.

Cons

The cons were poor management, for the most part the shoe associates were pretty independent & Macy's allowed us to have the power to handle a lot of customers' issues on our own & told us to side with them. However in those instances when you really needed a manager as a customer was demanding one they were often times nowhere to be found b/c every Tues & Thurs every manager in the store was in a mandatory 4 hr meeting during peak times. Furthermore in my dept, when certain managers were available they would run away or try to blow you off when you needed them. Also favoritism was widespread and at times nauseating. The major con was when our store cut our commission down to 7% because they hired shoe expeditors. Instead of sales associates going to the stockroom to get the customers' shoes we were banned, we could only scan their shoe while an expeditor grabbed it for us. When they told us about the new system management lied through their teeth. They told us it would be faster, we could help more customers, we'd make more money, blah blah blah. In reality they hired way more sales associates than ever & we made less money b/c everyone was always on the selling floor & for some reason they hired few expeditors, which slowed down service tremendously b/c 3 or 4 people couldn't handle the demand of 20+ sales associates ordering 2 or 3 shoes at once. Sometimes customers would wait up to ten min for one single shoe that a sales associate could have easily gone to get in one minute but if he dared to go into the stock room to give good customer service & assure a sale, a manager would often be waiting to yell at him. Also a really bad downside were sales days when clearance shoes were marked down to 75%, you'd have about 20 people in your face everywhere you turned the whole day asking for mates to $15-$25 shoes on average, and some of these people would still want other deals and hook-ups. So draining.

Get a clue, probably 98% of your staff could care less about making magic happen for customers when working there is a nightmare. No one wants to sit in a morning rally and cheer about how the store made hundreds of thousands and met their sales goals when the majority of your staff is making minimum wage. Pay your employees more & treat them with respect and maybe you can attract a more competent & professional staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!