There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer  in  McLean, VA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

The benefits are fantastic. The entire company operates using an "open-door" policy - almost everyone there is willing to stop what they're doing to answer questions about the work they're doing. There are lots of training opportunities, in a range of fields. The company is very responsive to employee questions and concerns (at least for a company its size. I love working here.

Cons

If you don't want to do government contracting, this is not the place for you, obviously.

none

433 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

MITRE doesn't build systems.

Former Employee - Information Architect  in  McLean, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at MITRE

Pros

This was the disclaimer that several hiring managers made when I came to an open house in 2004 with some years of systems integration experience on my resume. However, MITRE does develop some sophisticated prototypes for the government. I appreciate my five years of varied planning studies, such as technology evaluations and functional requirements. As an adviser, there are some opportunities to help the government make good decisions based on some level of objectivity. The MITRE campus is a fairly collegial environment. I greatly appreciate MITRE's generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Leadership skills are important, but politics can be problematic, both within MITRE and at government sites. It can be challenging to return to mainstream system integration after spending five years with Microsoft Office. MITRE supports continuing education, but budgets for internal training are limited. The corporation has grown substantially in recent years but still relies largely on personal networking for internal staffing. The employee ranking process can be a painful exercise. Prospective hires should also be aware that MITRE policy strictly prohibits employment references, if they ever need to change jobs.

With the rapidly changing technologies facing the government - and sometimes originating from MITRE - I hope that the corporation maintains the agility it needs to provide differentiated value in these challenging times.

MITRE is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Very diverse workforce, emphasis on learning, collaboration, and information sharing.

Cons

Moving away from the FFRDC model and taking on typical "contractor" tasks.

Stick with what got MITRE where it is today - high caliber technical support in an R&D environment.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!