There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer in McLean, VA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

The benefits are fantastic. The entire company operates using an "open-door" policy - almost everyone there is willing to stop what they're doing to answer questions about the work they're doing. There are lots of training opportunities, in a range of fields. The company is very responsive to employee questions and concerns (at least for a company its size. I love working here.

Cons

If you don't want to do government contracting, this is not the place for you, obviously.

none

441 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

MITRE doesn't build systems.

Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at MITRE

Pros

This was the disclaimer that several hiring managers made when I came to an open house in 2004 with some years of systems integration experience on my resume. However, MITRE does develop some sophisticated prototypes for the government. I appreciate my five years of varied planning studies, such as technology evaluations and functional requirements. As an adviser, there are some opportunities to help the government make good decisions based on some level of objectivity. The MITRE campus is a fairly collegial environment. I greatly appreciate MITRE's generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Leadership skills are important, but politics can be problematic, both within MITRE and at government sites. It can be challenging to return to mainstream system integration after spending five years with Microsoft Office. MITRE supports continuing education, but budgets for internal training are limited. The corporation has grown substantially in recent years but still relies largely on personal networking for internal staffing. The employee ranking process can be a painful exercise. Prospective hires should also be aware that MITRE policy strictly prohibits employment references, if they ever need to change jobs.

With the rapidly changing technologies facing the government - and sometimes originating from MITRE - I hope that the corporation maintains the agility it needs to provide differentiated value in these challenging times.

Challanging Work with Family Life Balance

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great family life balance can be had at MITRE. Employees can adjust their hours around their children's schedules. I don't miss a thing with my kids lives and I wouldn't trade that for anything. In addition, the work is very intellectually challanging and employees are given the opportunity to research ideas that are outside of conventional thinking.

If you can network well (and this is the key to success on many levels), you can have much control over the projects you work on and the career path that you want to take (technical, managment, etc)

There are lots of smart people from many different fields that you can learn from. And most people are easy to get along with and generous with their time since the FFRDC workstyle is of a slower pace.

You can grow your knowledge across many different technical fields while working at MITRE.

Main MITRE campus are spacious and have very nice facilities.

MITRE is an especially great fit if you have an academic background / PhD or if you have previous military experience.

Cons

If you are not a good networker you will struggle with the promotion process and the technical quality of work from your projects. Promotions are hard enough to come by regardless of whether you are a good networker or not. All promotions take time except for a talented / lucky few, but with a 'flat' company like MITRE, this is somewhat understood.

Competition for internal IR&D is overly bureaucratic and quite baffling. It seems to get worse every year and upper management seems to value the creation of a research portfolio containing all of the hot buzz words over giving MITRE's talented employees intellectual freedom to pursue groundbreaking ideas. I really feel that MITRE's management is significantly holding back the quality of MITRE's research.

MITRE is slightly moving away from its traditional FFRDC / think tank role. More and more projects are requiring employees to interact in a program managment type of role between the government and its prime contractor.

Get back the MITRE Innovation Program to what it was 5-10 years ago.

Be better connected with your top technical talent and what the companies technical capabilities are as a whole. There seems to be a growing disconnect here.

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE