Library

I worked at Long Beach City College

Pros

Depending on your department, the work atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed. Supervisors (library department) are considerate flexible when scheduling work hours. This is especially beneficial for working students.

Cons

Major budget cuts. Departments are short on money and understaffed. This leads to an increase work load and greater stress.

Overall, leadership is competent. However, they can do better by improve by reducing bureaucracy, and providing better on the job training.

Other Reviews for Long Beach City College

I have enjoyed my time here

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to work in something I hold dear to my heart; Sports.

Cons

There isn't to much to complain about from my perspective considering I asked for this position and knew what it entitled.

The culture is great working with coaches and the athletic environment is very collective.

Top Administrators make almost 10 times as much as adjunct instructors....who do much of the work.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We teach well. We love our students.

Cons

Where do we start? There are NINE vice-presidents...NINE at a community college. They are well into the 6 figures. Why do we have that many? And during the recession, why are none of them eliminated to drive down costs? Why does tuition go up for the students? It sure is not because of adjunct professors. (See administrative bloat and shiny new buildings).

I want to be fair: tenure track profs are not wealthy (middle class)...but over half of the instructors are adjunct...meaning we are poor. We love our work, but this is no living wages. We are "freeway fliers" with other jobs.

How poor are we? We make one third the pay (plus we have no benefits) as tenure track profs (and some of adjuncts ARE, in fact Ph.D.s) for much of the same work. Again, that does not mean that tenure track are wealthy. I does mean that adjuncts are a lower tier, a lower caste as others doing much the same job.

If you are on tenure track, you did well and are also lucky. Do not demean or belittle your fellow instructors (most of you don't). But some of our administrators do. One of us was told that we had "no allegiance" at all to any part timers...even after educating here for over a decade. We are vital to our students; to some administrators and most trustees, NONE OF US MATTER.

Do not become an adjunct. In fact, do not become a professor, as most of us will become adjuncts. I know we often have little choice. But if you can, get out.

Adjunct instructors are not a "gap" in college education; we are now the majority. If we went away, this college (in fact, ANY college) would disintegrate. Only then would a living wage require the majority of college educators to call us back.

The majority of educators (adjuncts) are below the poverty line. If you care about education, and you care about your students, give us a living wage. If you want students to cough up more tuition, consider how many vice-presidents we REALLY need, and why the shiny new buildings are NOT for expanding classes. Oh, and stop cutting vocational programs.

There are newer employer reviews for Long Beach City College.

Worked for Long Beach City College? Contribute to the Community!