Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Good company to work for but I've only worked one place out of college

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Schedule flexibility, not too stressful or challenging, fitness center on site, lots of activities or community service to get involved in, you can move around in the company to other groups

Cons

Sometimes work is slow and boring, politics, endless meetings, not a place to make friends, most employees are older

Try to talk to young engineers a lot and make sure they are satisified at work or help them move around so they can be

2684 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

I was there but I'm glad I'm out.

Former Employee - Functional Analyst in Woodlawn, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Functional Analyst in Woodlawn, MD (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin Information Systems has a lot of contracts across the United States, with a lot of Federal and state agencies. So Lockheed Martin Information Systems is almost always hiring somewhere, at some time. They are a known "brand" so they might look good on your resume, and the job title they give you might even impress someone who doesn't know any better. But the best reason to work for Lockheed Martin Information Systems is the deep feeling of joy and satisfaction when you quit for a job that isn't sucking all the joy out of your life. Your opinion might vary.

Cons

Oh, let me tell the ways I hated, hated, hated working there. I had a fairly decent job working for another Federal contractor with good wages and respectable raises annually. Lockheed Martin Information Systems came in with a "low ball" bid and won out over the good company that had that contract but to fulfill the contract for the rates they bid, they fired half the incumbent staff (and the firings seemed to be of everyone earning more), and dragged in inexperienced temps to take over from staff who had been doing the job for years. They hired people at one salary and then announced a lower salary on the first day. They were very closed mouth about how much new hires would be paying for health care, so the salary you negotiated in good faith was suddenly about 75% of that amount, with the rest going to pay for insurance. There's no paid family leave--my husband was in a coma but I had to come in and work every day because we wouldn't have had an income, otherwise. Oh, and the white men were routinely paid more than minorities and women.

Treat your employees they way you would want to be treated. If there are bonuses, you could buy a lot of good will by awarding a flat amount to everyone, not just a percentage, so the rich get richer and the poor stay put.

Start out ambitious and they will wear you down

Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Owego, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Owego, NY (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

On paper it is a great place to work. They pitch ideas about work life balance, career advancement, leadership development, flex time, benefits that fit todays changing workplace and oppertunities for growth and inward mobility. Who you work for and with is how you survive. If you are on a good project with good people you will probably love your job there.

Cons

Usually, these benefits mentioned above are applicable when it helps the company, not so much when you need to use them. Often flex time is used so you can attend meetings at 4pm on Fridays or work Saturday nights without compensation, but if you utilize flextime to come in an hour late or leave an hour early, you usually will be questioned about where you are. Additionally, no matter how much they talk about work/life balance it doesnt apply unless you are inbetween projects. If you are working on something "high impact" which is more and more these days, you will be working substantial overtime w/ or w/o compensation and have no vacation rules implemented by management. There is at least one project a year that prevents people fromtaking holidays off. One of the other things that really irks me is that there is no sick time. Technically you can use any unpaid overtime as sick time, however you will probably be looked at negatively for doing so. Even individuals with a couple hundred hours of unpaid overtime will be told to limit their use of the time for sickness. Lastly the Performance Management system is terrible. Lower level employees get rated very mediocre on average because there is a bell curve for the whole department that needs to be met. As someone who is currently striving to improve my profession, skills and projects, I often mind myself discouraged and stunted.

Completely revamp the performance management process. Listen to younger employees, dont always believe what the more "experienced" have to say. Do not pigeon hole people into one project. Allow people to move internally if they want to, if not they will just go external.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin