Great people, lots of opportunities, lots of bureaucracy in IT

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Dover, NH (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Liberty is a huge company with a huge IT organization. If you get your foot in the door and you do well, you can be guaranteed that you'll be able to move around and try different things you're interested in. Also, the majority of the workers in IT are *very* nice. I worked in Portsmouth, NH and Dover, NH and the majority of those I interacted with daily were great people, I ended up making lots of good friends there. The compensation is also good and you get a lot of time off.

Cons

I worked in IT, and you can tell that the business does not appreciate or understand the value that IT provides to their business. I believe that this is in part caused by the fact that middle management in IT (not necessarily executive management) hides the truth about IT operations in order to save face.

Another consequence of middle management doing this is that if an IT project is going badly, instead of explaining why things are going wrong and asking for help, they instead expect IT employees to make up for this by working overtime to make up for it. I especially saw this with system administrators - they have no say in how IT projects are run yet are simply expected to be on at all hours of the night to make changes so they don't impact systems during business hours. On top of this, there is no recognition when these employees have to do off hours work with no notice, in addition to their normal business hours work.

Also, the health insurance could be better, it's a bit expensive for what you get.

Even though this cons section was long, it's really a good place to work!

Try to create a culture where honesty is rewarded instead of punished. Reward your employees if they have to do off hours IT work. Better yet, if 24x7 support is needed, create more shifts. Even better yet, invest effort into solidifying IT processes so that the fear of doing changes during business hours isn't there anymore.

Other Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Good, but not getting better

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are very competitive. Excellent job security. If management identifies you as a top performer you will get plenty of bonuses and have excellent promotion opportunities. Management is very flexible regarding time off and working from home. Most managers want you to be successful.

Cons

Tons of bureaucracy and red tape. IT is very understaffed and is slowly getting leaner. Work/life balance is diminishing

Make up your mind. Every year or so we have a change in management that dramatically changes how we do things. Before we can finish implementing changes we go off in a different direction because the last change didn't work.

I learned a lot working for them

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Fabulous benefits from this company

Cons

Constant Change at this company

When employees leave, replace them faster

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!