Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

www.kratosdefense.com
  www.kratosdefense.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions

Five Years of Opportunity and Exposure to Tier 1 Developers

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Engineer in Springfield, VA (US)
Former Employee - Data Warehouse Engineer in Springfield, VA (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Over the five years between 2006 - 2011, as an Engineer, I worked on 3 contracts and gain a lot of experience. My business manager was aggressive, fair and provided opportunity to shine and supported training funds for personal development. While at KRATOS, upper management did a great job with benefits (pay raises were fair in the beginning and then went flat in 2010 & 2011).

Cons

KRATOS has gone through many growing pains and depending on your current manager and contract. Like many DOD contractors, you are only viable if you are billable. With all the acquisitions, the company has had a lot of turnover, but that happens in a growing company in DOD.

Keep growing, but do not lose sight of the value of your employees on-site with the client.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions (View Most Recent)

Never felt like an employee of the company but they did pay well and have nice benefits.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits including health care, dental and even free vision. 401K matching at 4.5% after being full vested was a bonus. Friendly employees and co-workers. Paid well, at least for my job as a government contractor. Free set of four Padres tickets every year for one game for all employees.

Cons

Lack of communication from the management. Provided no training that would have made me qualified for other positions within the company. No new work for current employees and many lay-offfs. The best employees tended to leave for other companies, leaving new people in positions such as HR and finance. Company stock at a all time low.

Find more work in San Diego. Expand on current work instead of buying more small companies. Keep your employees more informed about the company. Don't tell employees how well the company is doing when the stock price says otherwise.

Used and dumped

I worked at Kratos Defense & Security Solutions full-time

Pros

Steady stream of work, company is doing well financially, expanding

Cons

To begin with, the chain of command is very messed up. I had no immediate supervisor to report to, and the person that was listed as my 'boss' knew nothing about my department or line of work and only checked in on me once every couple of weeks. However, I realize that some companies work well with this type of structure. That is not my main complaint.

I was hired on a temporary basis, but about a month into my employment my higher ups started giving me very encouraging words that they had won a contract and were about to bring in a BUNCH of more workers, so I'd be a shoe-in for being brought on permanently. These words of encouragement continued throughout the duration of my employment, and they fully gave the impression that I was pretty much good as permanent.

Three months in we had a massive multi-week effort to move from our crappy warehouse building to a big fancy new custom-built building across town. They sent out a seating chart for the new building and my name was curiously missing. I assumed this was because I was currently a Temp and had them pencil me into an empty cubicle. Like everybody else in the company I did my part to pack up stuff, move stuff, unload stuff at the new building, and hook stuff up. Everybody was very excited and we couldn't wait to start our new life in a fancy new location.

On the first day we were in our new building, after I had unpacked, hooked up all of the equipment in my cubicle and started to settle in, I was informed that I was being laid off immediately.

No words to describe the sense of betrayal.

Employees are not tools, they are assets.

There are newer employer reviews for Kratos Defense & Security Solutions