There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Alright

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roseville, MI (US)
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roseville, MI (US)

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can take whatever days off you want as long as you find someone to cover for you.
Yes-You-Can lets you not have to talk to management every time you have to make a decision and once you get use to it, makes your job A LOT easier
Yearly raise

Cons

Rarely room for advancement.
Late hours
Work every weekend unless you request them off 2 weeks in advance
.50 (sometimes a whole dollar) for every credit solicited which there is a goal you need to meet and they will review you once a year. But they NEVER take into consideration your customer care ability.
Never get recognized for the work you do unless you are close with the managers

Give your employee's more recognition. Pay more attention to your employees. That "Super Star" of the month may not mean anything to you but it can make a difference to your employees.

2296 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting salary for twenty somethings right out of college, good start for a first career

Cons

Extremely late hours, have to work six days a week during the holidays, workload is extremely overwhelming.

The store will fall apart if your store manager doesn't set the standards of what the assistant store managers should be doing, store managers need to be more of a leader, not a follower.

Great place to shop, not so much to work

Former Employee - POS Associate in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - POS Associate in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Kohl's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The 15% employee discount is nice, especially since you can use it in conjunction with other offers. There was never a problem getting time off requests. For the most part, the other people were nice. It was nice to be able to wear jeans on football days.

Cons

Kohl's is extremely focused on getting credit and emails. I never had a problem getting credits but, for the most part, it really was luck. One of the most frustrating things was that they would offer 20% off to sign up for a card but then there were always other coupons in the emails giving 20% off, so it wasn't really an incentive for people to sign up. The email thing was also very annoying; if people have the card, they usually get the emails. The pay was also a huge deterrent, along with the variance in hours. If you need a steady income, Kohl's is not the place for you. I usually got around 10-15 hours per week. My last two weeks there I had 25.5 hours the first week and then 5 the next. With the low pay, it made it not worth my time to work there. They just kept hiring and hiring people in anticipation of Christmas so there were way too many employees and not enough hours.

Actually focus on customer service. The entire transaction felt like I was trying to sell something to people who, in most cases, were already spending quite a bit of money. It would also be good to be a little bit more discerning in who you hire. The coupon thing is a huge issue - if you want people to get credit, don't send out so many emails! When you are paid so little and harped on all the time to get credits and emails, there is a huge turnover and you lose good employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's