There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Great team environment but Executives are worked like dogs

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Kohl's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The store has a great team environment, one big family. Development is non-stop and the company continually looks to promote from within.

Cons

Store hours are not condusive to a healthy work-life balance. Often times executives are expected to close late (11 p.m. or later) and turn around and be back at 6 a.m. Store Manager does not seem to put as much support into the Executive team, often times leaving them to cover SM shift when the SM leaves early. Equality among the Executive team is non-existent, often times leaving 1 executive handling 80% of the load themselves.

Take more interest the how happy your team really is. Offer to handle the front lines more often so the team can focus on what needs to be done and get tasks completed efficiently. Have more consideration for work-life balance for entire team and not just themselves.

2141 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Kohl's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great starting salary for twenty somethings right out of college, good start for a first career

Cons

Extremely late hours, have to work six days a week during the holidays, workload is extremely overwhelming.

The store will fall apart if your store manager doesn't set the standards of what the assistant store managers should be doing, store managers need to be more of a leader, not a follower.

Great place to shop, not so much to work

Former Employee - POS Associate  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - POS Associate in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Kohl's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The 15% employee discount is nice, especially since you can use it in conjunction with other offers. There was never a problem getting time off requests. For the most part, the other people were nice. It was nice to be able to wear jeans on football days.

Cons

Kohl's is extremely focused on getting credit and emails. I never had a problem getting credits but, for the most part, it really was luck. One of the most frustrating things was that they would offer 20% off to sign up for a card but then there were always other coupons in the emails giving 20% off, so it wasn't really an incentive for people to sign up. The email thing was also very annoying; if people have the card, they usually get the emails. The pay was also a huge deterrent, along with the variance in hours. If you need a steady income, Kohl's is not the place for you. I usually got around 10-15 hours per week. My last two weeks there I had 25.5 hours the first week and then 5 the next. With the low pay, it made it not worth my time to work there. They just kept hiring and hiring people in anticipation of Christmas so there were way too many employees and not enough hours.

Actually focus on customer service. The entire transaction felt like I was trying to sell something to people who, in most cases, were already spending quite a bit of money. It would also be good to be a little bit more discerning in who you hire. The coupon thing is a huge issue - if you want people to get credit, don't send out so many emails! When you are paid so little and harped on all the time to get credits and emails, there is a huge turnover and you lose good employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!