Just like a chess board

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

Good benefits and good people.

Cons

Ethics and Quality service to the client should still be the number one priority. Don't let it slip away.
Advancement should be made according to experience and not according to license or diploma.

Know your pieces' strength and use them wisely. People have their own strength and weakness.

Other Reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates

Berated despite excellent performance ratings

Former Employee - Regional  in  Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Regional in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great retirement package. Colleagues were great to work with

Cons

Poor business practice. Outdated culture and discriminatory practices

Listen to your HR staff, discipline those who need it (such as unethical behavior) regardless of their years of service.

High Quality People and Ability to Chart Your own Course

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have the opportunity to see the way that some of our competitors operate as well as the firm I was with before KHA and I constantly count my blessings at the quality of the people here. In addition, there's much more of an atmosphere of open dialogue here than I see elsewhere. Senior people are encouraged to develop their staff and then treat them like partners rather than subordinates.

Some of the other reviews on here talk about the emphasis on utilization or the amount of time people are expected to work. I talk to peers in other firms and they work as many or more hours than what I and many others at KHA do. At my old firm, the younger folks were never aware of UT but that didn't mean that it wasn't important nor that they had goals that they needed to be making in order for the firm to make money. In addition, what you see at many firms is a mix of people who put in extra effort when needed and others who are pretty much punching the clock. Here, due to the quality of the people and the fact that we don't hide the UT issue, the load is more evenly spread we don't have that imbalance.

Finally, I can't say enough about the benefits. Yes, bonuses are wonderful, but so is the retirement program. The firm puts so much money into the 401k, that it not only is insuring that my wife and I will be in good shape whenever I retire, but it's meant that I don’t have to take as much out of my paycheck each month to contribute as I would have at almost any other firm.

Cons

KHA has a good corporate philosophy that minimizes management and focuses on rewarding and growing staff. The challenge as a firm grows and has multiple locations, with new mid-and-senior folks coming in is that it can be difficult to make sure that the philosophy gets consistently implemented. In reading some of the reviews on here, some of the specific comments or examples cited where 180 degreed from what I've experienced or from what would be considered acceptable by the firm. We don't have a top-down management approach and we allow our Practice Builders a lot of freedom which is a big positive. That same freedom however, can be problematic if you have a Practice Builder who isn't 100% bought in or following the firm's philosophy. That can sometimes sour the experience for those working with him and they can view his philosophy or approach as that of the firm's.

As noted above, the firm needs to find a way to merge the openness and freedom with making sure that we understand when we have PM's or PB's who aren't providing a KHA experience for their staff. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does it can create a negative experience.

There are newer employer reviews for Kimley-Horn and Associates.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!