There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser - The Handcuffs are Golden

Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker  in  Anaheim, CA (US)
Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

I work in Mental Health. The salary is one of the best in the social services, behavioral health industry. Benefits are good and our jobs are protected by SEIU-UHW West union membership, which isn't too common in mental health. Kaiser employees have strong job security, the average employee at Kaiser stays for more than 20 years. In my field we are also supported by Kaiser and the union to continue our education through paid education days and free classes sponsored by the union and Kaiser, which helps for those who are licensed. Vacation benefits start out at 24 days a year, our entire family is covered by Kaiser medical insurance at no cost to the employee, we have a good 401K that Kaiser contributes to after two years of employment - 1.25% of our annual compensation, as well as a retirement pension. Part-time employees also receive benefits and they are flexible with work hours in mental health - 4/10 work weeks or other configurations. If you want to work in mental health, learn more, grow as a professional, Kaiser presents a great opportunity for this.

Cons

The work load at Kaiser can be overwhelming at times, their desire is that every hour of the day be filled with a patient, which can be very draining in mental health. Communication between departments isn't efficient and frequently, although we can be interdependent, we don't really know what the other department does specifically, or how they function, and vice versa. Also, much of the job satisfaction for staff in behavioral health is connected to the style of management in their clinic, which varies from caring and supportive to indifferent and neglectful. This is a problem across the board within Kaiser. My experience of Kaiser management, senior and line, is that they are generally polite and respectful. Nevertheless, it is easy to get typed at Kaiser which will determine future opportunities or lack thereof.

Be more authentic in your dealings with the at-times-overworked staff, work jointly to improve job satisfaction with real compromise and consideration of new ideas.

1615 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Great Job to Have When Going to School for a Career

Current Employee - Clerk  in  Fontana, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Clerk in Fontana, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The benefits! Kaiser has some of the best benefits available. Where else can you get a free MRI or a $5 surgery. The pay is pretty amazing as well. I make about 1.5 times more than anyone else working for another company would make in my position. Add that with the benefits and the number increases to 2.5. Did I mention 120 hrs sick leave, 40 hours life balance, and 40-160 hours vacation a year?

Cons

Some departments are very heavy on micro-management. Managers do not think things through. They simply get ideas and implement them without getting feedback from their employees. The company does not treat their employees as assets and does not have a very good recoginition program in place.

Listen to your employees because they are the ones on the front line. Shadow them for a day and see the challanges they face on a day-by-day basis.

It's hit or miss working at Kaiser Permanente. Ask lots of questions about the department you'll be working for.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Great benefits, good amount of vacation time given. Good company vision, senior leadership is very capable and inspire hard work in others.

Cons

Lots of people that should have been fired years ago but the company is too soft on this.

I think that senior management needs to hold people more accountable for their work. There are too many examples of people getting unfairly promoted or holding onto a job that they aren't doing well.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!