There are newer employer reviews for J.P. Morgan

Technology Analyst Summer Internship (Singapore)

Former Employee - Technology Analyst  in  Singapore (Singapore)
Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very good learning environment for the undergraduates looking forward to working in the finance sector.

Cons

There are no specific cons or negatives. A complete exposure to the finance industry work culture is given to the interns so time management becomes very crucial.

3898 Other Employee Reviews for J.P. Morgan (View Most Recent)

Poor Management - Under Trained Staff & Lack of Tools to Perform (Default Servicing/Foreclosure)

Current Employee - Operations Senior Specialist  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Senior Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some co-workers can be great to meet, but this can be true of any company - hardly unique to Chase.

Cons

From my years of experience, a majority of managers I've met are unqualified and favoritism runs rampant. Managers push for results, but do not push to support their workers in training, tools, or procedures. Raises are abysmal (1-2% per year). It is not uncommon for new hires to start at higher wages than people who have stuck with Chase for 5-10 years and people actually leave the company only to come back as a way to get a decent raise in pay.

Most opportunities are going to be a lateral move, which means you aren't advancing within the company. Advancement opportunities are almost non-existant, at least in Columbus, OH. It also is not uncommon for a position to be posted, with someone already picked out for the position. Some hiring managers just accept token resumes to reject them for their HR requirement. There are a lot of ridiculous requirements on postings, that honestly are not related to the job duties at all.

Listen to your employees. Support them and provide what they need to actually do a good job.

Focus on something other than Excel spreadsheet numbers. If you are going to just focus on those numbers at least learn what they really represent. Learn how to pull and filter reports correctly before jumping on your employees. As I've found it is not uncommon for a manager to have an astounding lack of understanding regarding Excel, please realize that the internet can provide detailed instructions (free) on how to use MS Office products.

Quit making the same mistakes over and over again. If something was screwed up and didn't work a year ago and you improve the system, don't go back to the old broken system because it was easier and call it a new direction.

If I could do it again, I wouldn't.

Former Employee - IFR Supervisor  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - IFR Supervisor in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent vacation policy. benefits, and pay.
    Great name recognition on a resume.
    Comfortable chairs and spacious desks.

Cons

High turnover rate for managers - it seemed like every few months, I had a new one.
    Dishonest leadership - a whole building essentially became temporary staff after being told we were permanent at the time of hire.
    Inconsistent performance management standards - you might be rated high at mid-year, and then have the exact same review for year end, and end up lower, with no explanation why.
    Analyst-level staff are treated poorly, which was dictated by leadership.
    Project ended, everyone was laid off. Talent reassignment has been a joke. Three months - no interviews. The company doesn't seem truly committed to retaining employees.

Be honest with your employees. If you hire and tell people they will be moved to a similar job at the end of the project, stay committed to that. You're dealing with people's lives here.
    Bring people in that actually understand how to manage a project. I understand that there are certain things that are out of the company's hands, but you can control how everything is run. This is the first place that I have worked that wasted months of time because of poor leadership.

There are newer employer reviews for J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!