There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

JCPenney

Former Employee - Warehouse in Fort Worth, TX (US)
Former Employee - Warehouse in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best company I ever worked for. Reason for leaving was that I moved.

Cons

Wasn't able to do 'on-the-job-training' as nuch as they said I would be able to.

2127 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Easy Job

Former Employee - Product Expert in Citrus Heights, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Expert in Citrus Heights, CA (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No job is too difficult. Easy!

Cons

No coverage and only a handful of people working at one time.

Have coverage it will make customers and employees much happier.

Hanging on by a thread of faith

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Specialist in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Specialist in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined J.C.Penney for seasonal work in December, and I'm not used to getting paid minimum wage. Getting over that initial blow, I am moving ahead with energy to see what happens next. Don't know if they are keeping me after the holidays (I just had another week added to my schedule), but I'm ready to stay on board because I like the company. I feel like an integral part of the sales team, and I enjoy being a part of making the store run as smoothly as possible. Hours have been flexible- although I've taken everything I can get. Benefits are promising, and of course JCP's stance on equality surpasses gazillions of organizations, and I applaud them for that alone.

The store is going through intense growing pains and transitional chaos right now, and it isn't so easy for everyone to see that Ron Johnson has a 5 year master plan that is going to work. I believe it will. There are complaints about the way the pricing is systemized- and about the fact that many of the cash registers have been replaced by ipods being carried around the store by employees like myself. The paradigm shift of this generation is hard to swallow for many.

However, if you like higher end fashion, clean and slick interior design, quick transactions- and don't mind an email receipt, you're most likely going to be a fan of the direction this good ole classic American department store is taking. I certainly am.

Cons

My measly seasonal pay isn't exactly a fair example of a JCP downside, but it does bite. I am hoping to do acceptable enough work to be hired full time with regular pay- presenting me with the option to move up to a supervisor position. Patience and perseverance... sigh.

I will point out a few things that I feel could be improved over time- that would make a more positive impact on the customer AND the associate. In the shops (I work in Kids), we only have the ipods(libbys) to check out customers with. I think this is great, but we don't ever seem to have enough of them, and employees to my knowledge do not receive any training on using them properly. For example, no one in my department even attempts a credit app on them even though it's possible. It is too easy to send a printed receipt to a terminal on the other side of the store. This is a real headache for both the customer and the associate. Just like any mobile device, the battery runs down... but in our case, this means it's the end of your time with your money machine. Time to hand it over- for the rest of your shift. Maybe we need chargers in every shop?

I would also like a bit more communication from the managers about work ethic, standards and the vision of JCP's future. I have just been doing my own research at home about the company, and I've been figuring things out by trial and error on the job.

Communicate the JCP vision with your associates. It helps for us to know the direction we are all going in together, and it can ensure that we do the best job running our part of the engine possible. Make sure your department supervisors train new associates well and don't leave them to figure out the road map alone- or worse, by making errors with customers. Train them on the ipods. They are hugely important right now, and we're only going forward. There's no turning back, but I believe this is a really good thing.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney